diy solar

diy solar

Pool pump + night lighting - Advice

Holly18

I am considering re-opening my swimming pool in 2020. Pool has a 3/4-HP 120VAC pump, and night lighting. Would like to get a solar kit with battery system to go "offline" with this system. What would a kit cost for this effort?

@Tryingtolearnsolar, for any real recommendations you'll need to provide specs on the lighting system and some basic information about how often that pool pump runs and what kind of current it's drawing. It's always a bit tricky going fully offline with an AC system because you'll need an inverter, and the sizing of the inverter depends on the loads you'll be putting on it, which depends on the specs of the pump and (possibly) the lighting system - though logically I would hope the lighting system is LED already. If it is, that will help, but you'll need to establish whether the LEDs are DC native, what voltage range they'll take, and where the transformer is, or if they're "AC", meaning only that each of the fixtures already has an AC-DC transformer inside it and so will also need to be fed by the inverter unless you want to switch all of them out to 12/24 DC fixtures without transformers so that you can run them directly off the battery bank.
Once you have all the specs of your system together, then you can start to figure out what size inverter you'll need to run the system and from there, how big of a battery bank you'll need to power the inverter and then what kind of array and controller you'll need to charge the battery bank.

Back