diy solar

diy solar

Pool Pump Power

Regularpit

I have no clue where to start but I want to get a couple solar panels and power a pool pump that consumes atleast 22.08 KWH a day so is their a solar system capable. The pump runs for 12 hours a day so it may not be possible in the space we have. I done the math and it's not possible but I want to know from people with experience.

Welcome to the forum.

22.08kWh/day - that's about 2/3 the average U.S. household (30kWh)

Depending on your location and solar availability, you would likely need about 4000W of optimally positioned panels and about $2000 worth of batteries and another $1000 in other goodies.

I have no clue where to start but I want to get a couple solar panels and power a pool pump that consumes atleast 22.08 KWH a day so is their a solar system capable. The pump runs for 12 hours a day so it may not be possible in the space we have. I done the math and it's not possible but I want to know from people with experience.

Is "Net Metering" available?
Easiest and most cost-effective solution is to connect PV panels to a grid-tie inverter (one high-voltage string inverter or multiple micro-inverters).
That will backfeed the grid and "spin the meter backwards" while sun shines. Pool pump will spin meter forward when used.

It is very doable, either grid-interactive or offgrid.
Biggest issue with off-grid is batteries and inverter have to deliver the starting surge current needed by motor, about 5x nameplate rating.
And then, batteries cycle to supply power in excess of PV or charge if PV supplies more than needed.
Batteries normally cost more than grid power over their entire lifetime, but DIY batteries are beginning to compete.
In other words, use of batteries as alternative to grid traditionally has been a money-losing proposition.
PV on the other hand is now a fraction of grid price in many locations.

22 kWh of power during summer with 5.5 hours effective sun is 4000W of PV as Snoobler says.
PV panels cost $0.12 to $0.50/watt, so $500 to $2000 worth of panels.
$500 to $2000 for grid-tie inverter.
$200 to $1000 for rack hardware to hold panels.

Batteries and battery inverter are a whole different design and cost.

Alternative could be a pump that can operate PV-direct, in variable speed. Such pumps are available for deep wells. Don't know of any off-the-shelf for pool pumps. Basically need a 3-phase pump (which I have in my pool with VFD), also a PV-direct VFD (again don't know if available off-the shelf as a stand-alone unit.)

Grundfos is the manufacturer of PV-direct well pumps.

We're in Georgia and it's usually partially cloudy. On a unrelated note I was wondering how people send excess power to the rest of the grid if we panel the whole house.

We're in Georgia and it's usually partially cloudy. On a unrelated note I was wondering how people send excess power to the rest of the grid if we panel the whole house.
Partly cloudy reduces production, but you can still get PV. There may be an "insolation" calculator that uses historical weather for your area as well as seasonal angle of sun. Check resources on this forum, also search web.

Grid-tie inverter.

If "Net metering" is available, you get to give watts when you have surplus and take watts when you need, using grid as a free battery.
However, investigate what the rules are. Do they force you to switch to a different rate schedule which is less advantageous, maybe causes your bill to go up rather than down?

Why are you running your pump so much --- If you're using a sand filter switch over to a DE filter -- Also there are pumps that have more efficient turn over ratios --- I have a 36K gallon pool in Louisiana ( 2hp 220v pump with a 60 sq ft DE filter ) I run my pump 6 hrs a day in August with about a 4 -5 times turn over ratio ---- in the winter months I run it about 4 hrs

My pool pump has a very efficient turn over ratio, I bought it recently because my old one was useless and the biggest problem was to turn the pool pump on manually which I often forgot to do. I had a lot of work to do because I have a big home and yard which I have to maintain. So, I have a GE pool pump, which gives me a lot of control due to its programmable settings and it also has a pool pump timer which, I think, is one of the best things this pool pump has. So, I would really recommend you to buy a new one because it's worth it.

Last edited:
Back