diy solar

diy solar

Poor guy lost his cabin to a fire in MPP charge controller

I'm not worried about the stuff in the basement (concrete block and metal cabinet). I just hope the installers did a good job on my roof!
Have them mount the panels… you do all the wiring and connecting…No one will do a better job than you ….it ain’t their roof that will burn down, it’s yours….

And I thought LFP was the safest, you can only screw it up if you do crazy or uninformed stuff with it. I have read a few times that somebody "felt safe with LFP under their bed", but now I'm also concerned :eek:
I’m one of those under the bed guy’s… I keep my enemies close. I run fast

Attachments

• 750AC92A-ED82-4584-AA74-8D5A8BB38BBD.jpeg
    750AC92A-ED82-4584-AA74-8D5A8BB38BBD.jpeg
    143 KB · Views: 30
I don't have examples of data, but sheetrock will definitely slow spread of fire. That would be the result of testing and field experience. It is used as fire barrier in home construction, and double-layer between condo/apartment units. 30 minutes per 1/2" layer.

"Solar fire" - may not do as much for a roof fire due to panels/wires, but a fire inside due to wires or batteries, it should hold back for a while.

Sheetrock (or plaster) is also used in fire resistant safes. It decomposes while absorbing energy, releasing the H2O which had been chemically bound in it.

Other aspects of construction include fire blocking, just 2x4 horizontal between studs to impede vertical spread of fire, and specialized caulking around penetrations for pipes and wires.

Those features may not stop the fire forever, but primary objective is to give plenty of time for escape.

In contrast, a typical mobile home is said to be fully engulfed with flames in 7 minutes. That may be old data, from fiber paneled mobile homes, not the newer ones with 1/2" sheetrock.

There are also standards for size of window openings to facilitate escape.
The 2x4 fire blocking needs to be installed every 4’ of every wall bay. It’s not the most fun part about building homes but one of the most crucial in my opinion.
If you put sheet rock up in a new garage you need to spackle and tape the joints and fill any holes with fire caulk by code.
The wall cavity must be sealed %100 I believe

"... a small number of isolated incidents ... representing about 12.7% of all applicable facilities."

400v DC arc with no load

~120v DC no load

so... what the heck is AFCI actually going to do to prevent a fire? is the expectation that AFCI will trigger RSD modules to bring the series level voltage down? and is 80v the magic number?

AFCI will stop a series arc.
Won't stop a parallel arc (to ground, or to another wire.)
Maybe bad connection burned through insulation before an arc started.
But some Walmart fires were initiated after system had been preemptively shut off.

when it starts getting popular and ya lose a lot of folks

Fractal woodburning accidental electrocutions have apparently reached that point.

I guess, you only need one sprinkler in the kitchen near the stove and up to 50% of fires would get squashed.

Sprinkler? Consider this situation:

Yep, sister-in-law nearly burnt down the whole kitchen by forgetting to turn off a pot of oil.

In that case, water is an incompatible extinguishing media.

Something I understood as a child, but my mother didn't immediately, when I started a paraffin fire. Although being a science teacher, she tossed a cup of water on it. As flames filled the stove I simply pointed at the fire extinguisher.

Schools are required to have sprinklers. Except existing ones don't have to be retrofitted. Even after burning to the ground, replacement school is exempt. (California, D*m*cr*t run, not R*p*bl*c*n.)

Apparently refrigerators rank below stoves but above toasters as pyromaniacs:

Last edited:
"... a small number of isolated incidents ... representing about 12.7% of all applicable facilities."

But some Walmart fires were initiated after system had been preemptively shut off.

Fractal woodburning accidental electrocutions have apparently reached that point.

Incompatible extinguishing media.
Something I understood as a child, but my mother didn't immediately, when I started a paraffin fire. Although being a science teacher, she tossed a cup of water on it. As flames filled the stove I simply pointed at the fire extinguisher.

Schools are required to have sprinklers. Except existing ones don't have to be retrofitted. Even after burning to the ground, replacement school is exempt. (California, D*m*cr*t run, not R*p*bl*c*n.)

Fractal wood burning is a real thing…it’s dangerous if you don’t take it seriously…unless you were brought up to know what to do
in a bad situation it can get ya…

I would have no problem keeping my battle borne batts under the flip up bed in my rv… I have had much more dangerous girls in that bed in the past …. And I’m still here smiling …
A good and fun life is full of risks…that makes it worth living.

so... what the heck is AFCI actually going to do to prevent a fire? is the expectation that AFCI will trigger RSD modules to bring the series level voltage down? and is 80v the magic number?

There is a belief that lower voltage, lower wattage, is less likely to sustain an arc. So AFCI triggering RSD could interrupt some large fraction of these. But the two could be independent and panels remain in series until fire open-circuits the string and interrupts RSD keep-alive signal.
The Walmart and Amazon type installations of course wouldn't have RSD. That is just imposed on residential installations.

Incompatible extinguishing media.

You are quoting me after selectively taking one of the sentences from the previous post to mine. I was tagging along with the statement that 50% of home fires are in the kitchen.

I always have a fire extinguisher and fire blanket in my kitchens. I do not throw water on a grease/oil fire.

You are quoting me after selectively taking one of the sentences from the previous post to mine. I was tagging along with the statement that 50% of home fires are in the kitchen.

I always have a fire extinguisher and fire blanket in my kitchens. I do not throw water on a grease/oil fire.
Jus put the lid on the skillet ….that’s what I’ve done,,3=times … fire goes out …if it’s already spread everywhere, just grab your money guns and pot and get out…

Sorry, not faulting you or anything.
Just quoting you giving an example of an oil fire, which would be incompatible with (water) sprinkler mentioned by Boater.

Commercial kitchens of course have a canister something suitable, and a pull chain as well as automatic shower heads.

Fire extinguishers I keep around.
Fire blanket, hmmm

"After initial investigation in 2013, and later in 2014, the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority issued a statement that fire blankets should never be used to extinguish an oil/fat fire such as a chip pan fire, even if the icons or text on the blanket indicates the blanket may be used in such a case."

Probably fine with a little bit of oil, just not enough to saturate the blanket.
Fire blankets are something I've never learned about.

Sorry, not faulting you or anything.
Just quoting you giving an example of an oil fire, which would be incompatible with (water) sprinkler mentioned by Boater.

Commercial kitchens of course have a canister something suitable, and a pull chain as well as automatic shower heads.

Fire extinguishers I keep around.
Fire blanket, hmmm

"After initial investigation in 2013, and later in 2014, the Netherlands Food and Consumer Product Safety Authority issued a statement that fire blankets should never be used to extinguish an oil/fat fire such as a chip pan fire, even if the icons or text on the blanket indicates the blanket may be used in such a case."

Probably fine with a little bit of oil, just not enough to saturate the blanket.
Fire blankets are something I've never learned about.

This is the one I have in my kitchen: A9EC7B9C-0497-47B8-AE66-6BAB669668AE.jpeg

“Emergency fire blanket kit contains a fire retardant first aid blanket that is useful in extinguishing flames in small fires at work, auto or home. Fire retardant blanket can also be used to put out small welding fires.
Emergency fire blanket kit is packed in a sturdy nylon pouch for hanging, storage and quick release. Blanket is specially treated fire-retardant material that is 30% wool, 70% man-made fibers with a 100% Olefin core. Blanket measures 62 in x82 in.”

Jus put the lid on the skillet ….that’s what I’ve done,,3=times … fire goes out …if it’s already spread everywhere, just grab your money guns and pot and get out…
I am having a vision of you getting outside with that stuff and wondering what you forgot?. Oh the Wife:LOL:

“Get out?”

You cook indoors? You must have one of those fancy trailers.
Forced air induction, gravitational ,bionic nuetral-wave , sonic heating elements. ( crock pot) …

my plan. Everything is either on or in a 40' container. Don't want to lose anything, but it is mostly built-in fire containment. :)
Yep all my gear is in a concrete bunker room that is 8ft away from the house.

Back