diy solar

diy solar

Poor performance - Off grid All-in-one

In reviewing my Scc options, the most common limit is the 150-160 Voc. What is the magic here? With the higher capacity panels such as my Qcells I am limited to 3 panels in series, at which point I must either get another scc or spend more on a higher Voc rated scc. Faced with this choice what is the better option?

In reviewing my Scc options, the most common limit is the 150-160 Voc. What is the magic here? With the higher capacity panels such as my Qcells I am limited to 3 panels in series, at which point I must either get another scc or spend more on a higher Voc rated scc. Faced with this choice what is the better option?
There's also combiner boxes to consider. Sure you may be stuck at 3s on those panels to keep your voltage down to 120v, but 3s842p is also 120v. Step one would be to max out the wattage your initial unit can take, then get a 2nd SCC and max it out. Grab a combiner box and bring in parallel strings up to what the SCC can take to get the most amps in that W=V*A equation.

You can figure out how much amperage your system can take by taking the listed PV max wattage and divide by the PVInput voltage. That'll get you on paper at least to figure out how many strings you can take in parallel. A little overpaneling is OK as long as you don't go over the voltage limit.

Last edited:
or spend more on a higher Voc rated scc.
At this point, you can also start to look at Inverter with 500V input.
My 3Kv AIO (cheap 400$ PowMr) have 500V PV input. Of course, I don't consider it as a good quality inverter, but simply start to look at similar option before spend 500$ on a scc.

At this point, you can also start to look at Inverter with 500V input.
My 3Kv AIO (cheap 400$ PowMr) have 500V PV input. Of course, I don't consider it as a good quality inverter, but simply start to look at similar option before spend 500$ on a scc.
Hmmm, This is a reasonable option for the price and would replace the MPP unit I have. And you are happy with this unit?

I am looking for a technically wise and cost effective upgrade to improve my ability to charge. Consensus is more panels. so its just selecting the best SCC config to add the panels.

There's also combiner boxes to consider. Sure you may be stuck at 3s on those panels to keep your voltage down to 120v, but 3s842p is also 120v. Step one would be to max out the wattage your initial unit can take, then get a 2nd SCC and max it out. Grab a combiner box and bring in parallel strings up to what the SCC can take to get the most amps in that W=V*A equation.

You can figure out how much amperage your system can take by taking the listed PV max wattage and divide by the PVInput voltage. That'll get you on paper at least to figure out how many strings you can take in parallel. A little overpaneling is OK as long as you don't go over the voltage limit.
I appreciate this guidance. Thank you. I will do some noodling on the numbers.

Hmmm, This is a reasonable option for the price and would replace the MPP unit I have. And you are happy with this unit?
If you can sell your MPP at good price, it seem that another inverter can end to be low cost.

I'm super happy with my inverter because it work and I can connect my 360v EV battery to the inverter to power the house.

But it only supply 240V and I will not be surprised if it die next week. After all it a really cheap inverter and I use it for the well pump who need peak power around 4 kW to start.
But I'm not off grid, so I think your situation ask reliable components.
It's not easy to find low cost AIO inverter who are reliable, especially at 24V and with 500V PV input.
After all, maybe your most cost effective option is a to add a low cost MPPT and live with the 150V limit.

More panels...
Plan on scaling panel count to be able to provide at least 75% Kwh capacity of battery an typical day, while at same time covering 100% of house load during day.
If you have lots of shady days, up panel count even more.

Last edited:
Back