diy solar

diy solar

Poor sun exposure question?

ed6269

Hello everyone
I have a neighbor who has a off grid cabin that does not have the best sun exposure. He has a MPP 2724 all in one which has a solar max charge input of 600 watts .
I have two questions the first is can we over panel the 600 watt solar input for those cloudy days and if so by how much.
His plan is to mount 2-400 watt panels up in a tree above his cabin to get to the available afternoonand evening sun.
The second part of his plan is to add 2 more 400 watt panels on the ground to get the morning sun.
This inverter only has 1 solar input , if the 2 panels in the tree are in series and the 2 on the ground are in series and both were brought together in parallel before the inverter will the different output wattages being produced from the from the dissimilar orientation of the panels be a problem?
Thanks for any insight or any experience with any such setup.

That should work fine. With the two strings facing different directions. Some people would suggest blocking diodes for each string. (I used to be one of them) Some people say that they aren't necessary.
I'm not sure which is best, until I do my own testing.
Generally over paneling by 25% to 50% is the norm.
Beyond that, it becomes less cost effective.

That should work fine. With the two strings facing different directions. Some people would suggest blocking diodes for each string. (I used to be one of them) Some people say that they aren't necessary.
I'm not sure which is best, until I do my own testing.
Generally over paneling by 25% to 50% is the norm.
Beyond that, it becomes less cost effective.
OK thanks.

Back