diy solar

diy solar

pop-up camper inverter vs inverter/charger

VoodooRanger

Hi -
Thought we'd start with something simple - solar for a new to us pop-up camper but we're stuck and wondering if anyone else has worked through this problem.

System components so far
On order: (4) x 100 w panels (24.3 VOC, 4.93A Imp) - plan 2s2p so have 10awg + serial/parallel connectors
Batteries: 16 cells x 72ah LiFeP04 - will configure into 2p4s2p for a total of 288ah and so that we only need 2 BMS

Intend to order:
  • Solar charge controller: Victron mppt 100/30 (we will be up in elevation/cold mornings and understand the BMS would handle the temperature issue - any thoughts?)
  • (2) BMS - JBD 12v(4s), 150A each
Now I'm stuck on inverter. It's a pop-up so it has what I think is a power center/converter where shore power connects, 120V circuit breakers for 120V and fuse block - 12V fuses. Shore power is now what charges the existing battery. It is currently connected to a sealed battery which we don't want to keep (really want this to be a simple system since this is our first build) and the converter has a switch to charge lithium batteries. We don't intend to normally use this camper where shore power would be available but want to keep that option.

We were recommended a combination charge controller in line between "power center" and shore power connection and the Victron 2000W has auto transfer but it is expensive. I like the idea of using a 2000W inverter (love our instapot) but can get away with 1200-1500W inverter given our demand loads.

Would appreciate any thoughts on above.
Thanks!

Most small items will run on 300w inverter and is much easier to implement. Once more is definitely wanted/needed I would go right to 2000 watts. This will then run anything with a regular plug.

Batteries: 16 cells x 72ah LiFeP04 - will configure into 2p4s2p for a total of 288ah and so that we only need 2 BMS
Why not just get 4 280Ah cells? You are making this way too hard with tiny cells (it ain’t cheap or easy doing it the way you propose).

Same with panels? Are those biggest you can Tetris onto your roof?

Now I'm stuck on inverter. It's a pop-up so it has what I think is a power center/converter where shore power connects…..We don't intend to normally use this camper where shore power would be available but want to keep that option
Where are at on these thoughts?
I’d definitely agree keeping some shorepower option is important. It costs virtually nothing to keep it and at the least it affords a generator if that ever is desirable.

Back