diy solar

diy solar

Pop Up Camper power plan & questions

Sounds like you are too deep into inverters and chargers to switch to 24V.

Start with 4 BB batteries with an eye on adding the other 2. A single PD charger can charge 6 especially if plugged in for a day here and there.

Keep an eye out for big cheap solar panels that fit your roof. Pretty easy to add if you allow for it with bus bar spaces while putting your batteries in.
Thanks, I didnt mention but I do have some 1500 and 2000 watt inverters that use a modified sine wave.

We will pretend the inverter is 2000 watts and size accordingly

You will need...
2 of these

9 of these

7 of these

1 of these

1 of these

Here is the topo.
It is human readable and textual.
The dc legend block explains the atoms in the dc domain block.
This is doable. I also have 2 Gauge 2 AWG wire and properly sized copper lugs with thick heat shrink to build the cables. I see your topo says 4 for the dc distribution. I may have some of that as well

I can't make out any detail but it a combo ac/dc distribution panel.
That usally means there is an ac2dc converter inside that needs to be disabled or at least re-wired to prevent a power loop with the inverter.
Yes there is a DC portion of the OEM converter and its only purpose is to charge the aux wet cell battery so the dc lighting will work

Remember, I am leaving the OEM system alone and installing a complete second system with its own wiring and outlets. They will never interfere with each other because there is nothi9ng that will be shared between the two.

Yes there is a DC portion of the OEM converter and its only purpose is to charge the aux wet cell battery so the dc lighting will work

Remember, I am leaving the OEM system alone and installing a complete second system with its own wiring and outlets. They will never interfere with each other because there is nothi9ng that will be shared between the two.
2 is not the same as 2/0
True but the difference should be insignificant in this project? I already have the 2 AWG on hand

I have a popup Travel trailer. I got rid of the converter and went with just 12v 3000w inverter/charger with built in tranfer switch. If you're planning to have solar maybe all-in-one inverter. I have a wiring diagram And photos on the Trailmanor Owners fourm. If you're trying to run an A/C unit 24 V is better cuts the amps In half on your inverter 110v loads. But then you need to step down the voltage For all your 12 V loads. Charging off your vehicle also becomes an issue.

Last edited:
I have a popup Travel trailer. I got rid of the converter and went with just 12v 3000w inverter/charger with built in tranfer switch. If you're planning to have solar maybe all-in-one inverter. I have a wiring diagram And photos on the Trailmanor Owners fourm. If you're trying to run an A/C unit 24 V is better cuts the amps In half on your inverter 110v loads. But then you need to step down the voltage For all your 12 V loads. Charging off your vehicle also becomes an issue.
I looked but couldnt find your info, can you provide a link?

Back