diy solar

diy solar

Popup camper solar system

ERS1977

The attached pics are from the system I created for my popup camper. I moved one of the roof bike rack rails ahead so that when I mounted the solar panels to them, they'd be away from the roof vent.

To insert the solar system power, I cut the wires from the existing Power Converter to the camper circuits and connected spade terminals to the wires. I then connected spade terminals to the wires coming from the solar system dc panel fuse panel. This basically allowed it to function as a manual transfer switch and allowed me to return the camper to the stock layout when I went to sell it (which I subsequently did after using the camper for a couple years).

All the components fit nicely in one of the benches, the battleborn LiFePo4 battery layed on its side on a dense foam pad, underneath the solar components.

For safety and security, I installed difficult to access latches and other measures to ensure it would be extremely difficult for anyone other than me to access the system.

1-5px.jpg2-px.jpg3-px.jpg4-px.jpg5-px.jpg6-px.jpg7-px.jpg

Nice system. Thanks for sharing. In the midst of a similar project. Yours looks like a very economical use of space. Did you have any concerns about space around components and adequate air flow for heat dissipation? Ever get warm under the benches?

Why all the labels on the wires?!

That takes the entertainment value away and you probably lost thousands of dollars doing movies, theme parks, family getaways, and other entertainment expenses because of the labeling.

I don’t need, can’t use, and don’t want a popup but I’ve almost bought quite a few the last few years mainly to just do a solar project. Nice job.

Back