diy solar

diy solar

Portable Enclosure for (4) Group 24 batteries + inverter?

mattleonard

I'm rebuilding a DIY portable "solar generator" rig - and looking for a better ideas on enclosures. I'm trying to balance portability/weight, with ease of use, and protection (physical and some light weather protection).

Basically - I've got (4) group-24 size batteries, a 3kw inverter (about to upgrade to a Victron), a 40a Epever controller, and want to include various outlets/inlets. I'd like this to be portable enough that it can fit in a car, and either have wheels or a dolly, or be easily moved on a hand truck.

Most retail plastic storage boxes are either too small, or too flimsy. Most of the big-box "toolboxes" are cheap and latches break if you look at them wrong. Rotomolded jobsite boxes could be an option. The new DeWalt Tough System Toolboxes might work if I broke components into different boxes (which would make transport easier) and used Anderson connectors. Plywood could of course create the exact size I need, but I'm hoping to find something lighter.

Any suggestions or sources? Thanks!

Matt, I see nobody replied to this post. What did you end up going with? Have any pictures of the completed project?

Back