diy solar

diy solar

Portable folding suitcase - using FLEXIBLE panels?

PlanetExcellent

Hey all,
I'm thinking of building a portable folding solar panel to use when camping this summer. I'd like two panels of about 100 watts each for a total of about 200 watts. But that will probably weigh 35-40 lbs when complete with some sort of adjustable leg assembly etc.

Then I thought, why not build this using flexible panels mounted to a rigid but light backing, like that corrugated plastic stuff? Maybe some plastic tubing could be added as a stiffening frame. Has anyone tried something like this? Is it rigid enough to support the panels?

I have 10 175 watt flex panels for my hurricane prep. I use makerpipe connectors with 3/4 in metal conduit and attach the panels with zip ties.

Attachments

• SolarArray.jpeg
    SolarArray.jpeg
    359.9 KB · Views: 28
That's awesome! I am not familiar with Maker Pipe; it looks really useful for projects like this.

I like your solar array. Did you put any backing behind each panel, or are they just supported at the edges by the pipes?

I've tried many designs but backing adds weight. My current designs has a frame and two cross bars to support the center of the panel. My panels are 60x26. I have a crossbar at 20 and 40 inches.

Flex-panels seem to suffer early failure. I dunno, never used them. I scratched them off as options early on.
Here's a thread that may interest:

Back