diy solar

diy solar

Portable modular solar generator box

HappySolar

Greetings Forum comrades!

The pandemic forced downtime has offered many of us a countless amount of time on our hands to attempt to use wisely. For me, not being able to tour, I ended up down the solar rabbit hole and designed a mobile solar generator for use in rehabbing a property in the Mojave desert. Thought I’d share some of the progress via this post for fellow DIY Solar Forum members to enjoy.

My goal was to build a solar generator that offered power while still being portable and offered room to grow. I chose to fabricate separate, stack-able Charge Controller/Inverter and Battery boxes, for greater portability.

I did the basic dimensional layout in Photoshop, to do as much virtual realization of the project as possible before diving into purchase of components and materials. With each component I chose to use, I found dimensional drawings online and, in some cases, took my own photos and then free transformed the image to be the exact size to the scale of my Photoshop file. This way I could place each component, connector and accessory in place and know that it would work dimensionally. This is piece of cake stuff for industrial engineers, but for DIY’ers like me, it was a revelation to find these images to place into Photoshop. I was able to strategically squeeze both boxes out of a 5’x5’ piece of 13-ply Baltic Birch plywood. Once I built the boxes, I was able to begin digging into the assembly with components and design/build to accommodate minor changes and additions along the way.

I designed in/out, meter and switch panels for the boxes in Illustrator based on the connectors I planned to use. For the PV input, I chose to use Neutrik PowerCON and for connecting the Controller box to the Battery box I wanted something that was more elegant and easy than a lug terminal and something heartier than Anderson connectors. To that end, I chose to use welding Dinse style connectors. Quick setup/tear down, high power rating and, to me, super cool looking. On the output side, I went with XT60 connectors for DC appliances, along with marine panel mount accessories and jacks. I designed a panel for the Controller box top to accommodate the MT50, PZEM-015 and Inverter on/off switch. And a last minute addition just before painting was the suburb Blue Sea Systems rugged battery on/off switch that I was able to squeeze into the battery box above the IOTA DLS-45 battery charger/maintainer. It was so gratifying to have the .125 brushed stainless steel panels cut for this project. I found an invaluable resource for getting these designs realized in SendCutSend.com. I can’t say enough about the quality, price and ease of use of their service and I highly recommend them for laser cutting your designs.

The photos show the progress from the design stage images through to the end. After a couple test runs to the desert, I finally disassembled the working boxes to paint them and just recently wrapped the assembly. Now, time to get to work!

Controller_Box_back.gifController_Box_front.gifController_Box_side.gifController_box_top.gifcx-Battery_box_layout.gifIMG_3939.jpgIMG_3940.jpgIMG_4002.jpgIMG_4026.jpgIMG_4027.JPG

Additional photos...

Attachments

• IMG_4110.jpg
    IMG_4110.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4196.jpg
    IMG_4196.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_4213.jpg
    IMG_4213.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4214.jpg
    IMG_4214.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4551.jpg
    IMG_4551.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4552.jpg
    IMG_4552.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4553.jpg
    IMG_4553.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4557.jpg
    IMG_4557.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 95
And still more photos...

Attachments

• IMG_4559.jpg
    IMG_4559.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4561.jpg
    IMG_4561.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4568.jpg
    IMG_4568.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4570.jpg
    IMG_4570.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4573.jpg
    IMG_4573.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4575.jpg
    IMG_4575.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4577.jpg
    IMG_4577.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 66
Sexy! Where do I order!?! :) Thanks for the sendcutsend, and detailed description. They're so pretty, I'll even forgive your use of 'super' cool looking...it's apt! edit: btw, what paint is this? Cheers!

Sexy! Where do I order!?! :) Thanks for the sendcutsend, and detailed description. They're so pretty, I'll even forgive your use of 'super' cool looking...it's apt! edit: btw, what paint is this? Cheers!

Super duper! ?

Appreciate the kind words. Yes, sendcutsend is a great resource.

That paint, right? So impressed. Being a musician, I’m hip to DuraTex, which has been the industry standard for speaker cabs, road cases, etc for years - with basically no rival. Recently, the great mail order spot Parts Express introduced their own player in that market, called ExoHyde. Thought I’d give it a try and it’s excellent stuff. Really gratifying to apply it. And the results speak for themselves.

Thanks for the comment!

Man, this thing is BEAUTIFUL! Great job! I love the idea of the welding connectors -- I should have thought of that instead of Anderson connectors, as I work in a welding shop.

Great to learn of sendcutsend. We have several engineers here that could help me with those file formats.

A couple of questions. On image 4553, what is on the top? Specifically, what are those orange things? 1597320504941.png

And on 4557, what does the AC plug do? Is it so you can charge via the grid? If so, what is the device you are plugging into.
1597320593526.png

Man, you have given me soooo many ideas! I think I will get mine built and working first, then go for nicely organized and sexy.

Love the wheels on the boxes. Great work!

Man, this thing is BEAUTIFUL! Great job! I love the idea of the welding connectors -- I should have thought of that instead of Anderson connectors, as I work in a welding shop.

Great to learn of sendcutsend. We have several engineers here that could help me with those file formats.

A couple of questions. On image 4553, what is on the top? Specifically, what are those orange things? View attachment 19784

And on 4557, what does the AC plug do? Is it so you can charge via the grid? If so, what is the device you are plugging into.
View attachment 19785

Man, you have given me soooo many ideas! I think I will get mine built and working first, then go for nicely organized and sexy.

Love the wheels on the boxes. Great work!

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words. The top panel I call the output panel. On the left are standard 1-1/8” panel mount marine accessories (clockwise from top left are on/off for that cluster, lighter socket, voltmeter and dual USB jacks). The black blank cover is a Neutrik/Switchcraft ‘D’ style cutout, originally to accommodate a DPDT switch for the Bayite PZEM-051 meter. Then all the yellow panel mount connectors are XT60’s for DC appliances.

The IEC A/C plug is just for looks - sort of a middle finger to the grid...no, just kidding, this is in fact for A/C power when on grid and storing the battery box to keep the AGM’s charged and maintained. If you look at the open battery box image, you’ll see in the middle the IOTA DLS-45 for this purpose.

Good luck with your project!

Sir, a tip of my bowler to ya on your skills as a hobbyist woodworker. Ya done good!

I'm about to make a box to house my solar generator.....it will end up looking like an apple crate compared to yours. But you have inspired me to put a little more imagination into my project now, and for that I say thanks.

My parts are all in transit from hither and yon so until I can see everything I'm clueless as to what the final project will look like. Your skills with a computer put me to shame, but I hark back to high school days of mechanical drawing some 65 years ago. I find some of the projects I drew then and wonder how I ever was able to accomplish such. A great teacher who accepted nothing but the best from his students. Some of whom went on to become engineers and use those learned skills.

All I can say is carry on. You need an engraved plate on all of that identifying who built it and when, jus sayin...................

Very nice. I didn’t realize that I was going to build my portable system into a finished box until after I got deep into connecting components, so I’m hugely envious of your detailed planning and clean finishes. Well done!

Similar for me. I was contemplating a board style layout, but give credit to our host Will and his portable, skeletal box idea in shifting my concept. I took that and ran with it in my style and added a matching battery box. Appreciate the compliment. Good luck with your project!

Greetings Forum comrades!

The pandemic forced downtime has offered many of us a countless amount of time on our hands to attempt to use wisely. For me, not being able to tour, I ended up down the solar rabbit hole and designed a mobile solar generator for use in rehabbing a property in the Mojave desert. Thought I’d share some of the progress via this post for fellow DIY Solar Forum members to enjoy.

My goal was to build a solar generator that offered power while still being portable and offered room to grow. I chose to fabricate separate, stack-able Charge Controller/Inverter and Battery boxes, for greater portability.

I did the basic dimensional layout in Photoshop, to do as much virtual realization of the project as possible before diving into purchase of components and materials. With each component I chose to use, I found dimensional drawings online and, in some cases, took my own photos and then free transformed the image to be the exact size to the scale of my Photoshop file. This way I could place each component, connector and accessory in place and know that it would work dimensionally. This is piece of cake stuff for industrial engineers, but for DIY’ers like me, it was a revelation to find these images to place into Photoshop. I was able to strategically squeeze both boxes out of a 5’x5’ piece of 13-ply Baltic Birch plywood. Once I built the boxes, I was able to begin digging into the assembly with components and design/build to accommodate minor changes and additions along the way.

I designed in/out, meter and switch panels for the boxes in Illustrator based on the connectors I planned to use. For the PV input, I chose to use Neutrik PowerCON and for connecting the Controller box to the Battery box I wanted something that was more elegant and easy than a lug terminal and something heartier than Anderson connectors. To that end, I chose to use welding Dinse style connectors. Quick setup/tear down, high power rating and, to me, super cool looking. On the output side, I went with XT60 connectors for DC appliances, along with marine panel mount accessories and jacks. I designed a panel for the Controller box top to accommodate the MT50, PZEM-015 and Inverter on/off switch. And a last minute addition just before painting was the suburb Blue Sea Systems rugged battery on/off switch that I was able to squeeze into the battery box above the IOTA DLS-45 battery charger/maintainer. It was so gratifying to have the .125 brushed stainless steel panels cut for this project. I found an invaluable resource for getting these designs realized in SendCutSend.com. I can’t say enough about the quality, price and ease of use of their service and I highly recommend them for laser cutting your designs.

The photos show the progress from the design stage images through to the end. After a couple test runs to the desert, I finally disassembled the working boxes to paint them and just recently wrapped the assembly. Now, time to get to work!

View attachment 19636View attachment 19637View attachment 19638View attachment 19639View attachment 19640View attachment 19641View attachment 19642View attachment 19643View attachment 19644View attachment 19645
Loved that you used dinse connectors and wondering if you've had any issues with it loosening over time or corrosion (since doesn't seem to be a copper connector)

I wish I had found this website in 2020, when I had all that free time! Such an amazing end product. Ditto a name plate, that's a keeper for your family.

Back