diy solar

diy solar

Portable Mounting options

navajas

Hello everyone!

I have 10 100w rigid poly panels for which I'd like to buy or build two adjustable tilt, portable(ish) racks. I live in Washington state so being able to adjust angle and maneuver around the deck would be nice. I'm thinking about either a 1x4 or 2x2 configuration. Doesn't have to be fancy, but in order to appease the wife and mother, can't be ugly.

With the two remaining panels I was kicking around the idea of either a much more portable / collapsible / simpler rack to take with us for RV / camping use. This would be either a single rack or one for each.

Has anyone bought or built something similar? Have a link to plans, or some pics! :)

Thanks for your time!

navajas

With the two remaining panels I was kicking around the idea of either a much more portable / collapsible / simpler rack to take with us for RV / camping use. This would be either a single rack or one for each.
I use these RV brackets to make 100W panels freestanding, adjustable, portable, and collapsible. $36, free shipping.

For smaller portability - I have (2) 100w panels built into a suitcase-style with hinges. I found a tilting satellite dish pole mount (found on Ebay) bolted unistrut to it, and then have some u-nuts on the panels that line up with the unistrut holes. Some star-knob bolts allow for a quick attachment with no tools -and the whole thing mounts on a standard tripod speaker stand. Takes about 30 seconds to setup, and 30 seconds to tear down - and gets me up to head-height, can rotate 360', and have about 45' of vertical tilt.

I have the renogy tilt mount brackets from post #2. It does take a bit of time to adjust them. Six screw per panel, and I have six panels, so adjusting the 36 screws takes about an hour. If they were not on my RV, I’d like to change the screws to pins with locking detente. Those locking detented Pins were not cheap for 36 of those.

Whatever you do, I recommend something to keep them secured from wind. The Renogy tilt mounts will be fine. I have portable panels with legs that have gone tumbling in some nighttime winds that sneak up on me. I locked them up to keep from getting stolen, but found my 20’ cable stretched taught with the panels all blown about.

I like the idea of unistrut and have only just started to look at it. I did not realize it had something that was a quick disconnect.

Back