diy solar

diy solar

Portable Power Station (Bluetti) + Trolling Motor

Leo3

Solar and Wiring Newbie
Hi! I have a trolling motor with battery lug connectors. I’d like to be able to plug it into one of the ports on the AC200 or AC50S. But I’ll probably also need to maintain the ability to use the lugs. What do I need to make this work? Something like an Anderson connector? Do I cut the lugs off, buy a Anderson connectors (or other), buy a male 12v cig plug, attach connectors to the motor wires, lugs, and 12v cig plug? Thanks!

Hi! I have a trolling motor with battery lug connectors. I’d like to be able to plug it into one of the ports on the AC200 or AC50S. But I’ll probably also need to maintain the ability to use the lugs. What do I need to make this work? Something like an Anderson connector? Do I cut the lugs off, buy a Anderson connectors (or other), buy a male 12v cig plug, attach connectors to the motor wires, lugs, and 12v cig plug? Thanks!
@HRTKD I posted this couple of months ago and thought you might have a good answer. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the Bluetti product. I would verify that your cig plugs/wires can handle the amps. The Anderson connectors can be purchased to handle some very high amps.

I doubt if an AC50 can run a trolling motors amps.
Lighter plugs are only 10A rated.

AC200 has a 25A output plug that you have to buy a special cable to use. It comes with a separate Anderson adapter cable.
Did you buy an AC200?
Look at the Indiegogo campaign page to see the cables that were only $16.

AC200 has a 25A output plug that you have to buy a special cable to use. It comes with a separate Anderson adapter cable.
Did you buy an AC200?
Look at the Indiegogo campaign page to see the cables that were only $16.
I did get those $16 cables. Maybe I should just wait to see exactly what they are and go from there. That's a good question about the AC50S amps though. The specs say:
Outputs: 2*AC110V,(300W Continuous, 450W Surge Max)
1*PD USB-C Port (Max.45w).
4*5V3A(Max) USB-A Ports.
2*12V/3A DC-Ports .
1*12V/10A(Max) Car Port

And the trolling motor is, according to a forum:
SpeedLevel Amps LbsThrust

#1 8 4

#2 10 6

#3 14 10

#4 20 15

#5 30 30

The Bluetti EB240, for example, has a 12V DC power socket that can only deliver 9 Amps, continuously, so you would only be able to operate the trolling motor at the lowest speed setting (8 Amps). Even then, when the motor first starts, it might attempt to pull more than 9A, momentarily, which could cause an error condition on the EB240, requiring a reset.

If I were you, I would just buy a Battle Mountain 12V battery and their recommended MPPT charger (if you have the budget to use a lithium battery instead of lead-acid for trolling motor use).

Battle Mountain 12V battery and their recommended MPPT charger
If I had the Battle Born for the trolling motor I wouldn't need an MPPT charger unless I was charging it on the go in the boat with a solar panel right?

If I had the Battle Born for the trolling motor I wouldn't need an MPPT charger unless I was charging it on the go in the boat with a solar panel right?
Oops! Yes, it's Battle Born, not Battle Mountain. Doh! :p

And yes, you're probably right about not needing the MPPT controller. :p

Here's a link to their Trolling Motor page:

There's a FAQ section at the bottom, but after reading that, I would just give them a call or write - they have an outstanding reputation for customer service:

Quote: "You are also more than welcome to give us a call at (855) 292-2831 or contact us at info@battlebornbatteries.com. "

There's a FAQ section at the bottom, but after reading that, I would just give them a call or write - they have an outstanding reputation for customer servic
Awesome thank you!

Back