diy solar

diy solar

Portable Power vs. Battery Bank

GbRunner

Hi!

I currently have a small offgrid cabin with a lead acid battery bank (4x 6V 235AH) in 12V configuration. The cabin is located in southern Canada where for half the year the temperature dips below freezing. I was out to clean up the yard last weekend and my battery bank was completely dead. I've also noticed a diminished capacity over the last year. Therefore looking to upgrade battery storage in the spring.

Has anyone ever considered using a portable battery inverter in lieu of a conventional battery bank? It seems that the all in one package is very convenient to leave in my solar shed (pluged into PV) over the summer and to bring back forth during the winter months. If I was to go with a battery bank it would some combination of LiFePO4 batteries to help with the harsher environment if they're staying in place. The extent of my power usage is to run LED pot lights, charge phones and run a propane oven.

Does anyone have experience with the portable power stations? It seems to good to be true.....

Back