diy solar

diy solar

Portable Solar Panel Addition to Augment Fixed Roof Top Panels on Truck Camper

johnpitts01

Our 2019 Lance 1172 truck Camper has 270W of solar panels on the roof. With GoPower PWM 30 Solar Controller.
We do a lot of camping in the woods.
We'd like to add ground mounted solar panels to augment the roof top panels. The goal is 100 watt - 200 watt ground mounted panels that we can place and move for optimal sun exposure.
At the moment we have (2) 100AH LA batteries.
Will be installing (2) 100AH LIPO batteries shortly. When we install the LIPO batteries we will run the solar controller in AGM mode.

Looking to augment whatever we get from the fixed mount rooftop panels.
Currently considering Zamp Solar or GoPower portable systems with integrated controllers.

Can we simply connect the portable ground mounted system(s) with integrated controller to the batteries which are already connected to the rooftop panels and GoPower solar controller?

Can we simply connect the portable ground mounted system(s) with integrated controller to the batteries which are already connected to the rooftop panels and GoPower solar controller?

Yes, you can do just that. I have two MPPT solar charge controllers in my RV trailer that are connected to the same common bus bar. One charge controller for the rooftop panels and the other for the ground deployed panels. My panels are 320 watts each.

It's up to you if you want to use a kit, but you can likely get more watts if you put something together yourself.

Back