diy solar

diy solar

Possibly a goofy question

Tyler702

Desert dweller, quiet prepper
I've been wondering this for awhile, but hesitant to ask for fear of ridicule? but here goes.
Can I disconnect my pv panel from my SCC and attach a bench power supply to it, set it appropriately (in my case in peak sun here in December in Nevada I get 28-32V @ 4-6A from my one 250W panel)
Whereby the SCC thinks it's getting a good sunny day's worth of power, and doing its thing, charging my 24V bank. With that, and my bms watching over the bank, is this do-able? Once the HVD kick's in, would the bench PS simply sit in idle if left un-attended? Say, if I set it up for an overnight charge?
Anything I may not be considering in this scenario?
Thanks

Yes. Pretty sure Will has a few videos where he's simulating a panel with his bench PSU.

I would set SCC for 28.8V absorp and 27.2V float. Don't force HVD.

If HVD is tripped, it will open circuit, this is generally not the way you want to handle your routine charging. If it's a common port BMS, it will disconnect power to the SCC while you have a PSU attached as a panel. This is often not recommended (connect battery first before panels is a common recommendation), but many have tested this and found no issues. I say, better safe than sorry. Charge below HVD.

HVD will cycle the SCC on and off as the battery voltage drops to the resume voltage. Not optimal at all. If you have a separate port BMS, it doesn't matter as the SCC will still be able to pull current from the battery, but charging will oscillate.

Hmm.. ok. Not sure if my bms is common port or not. Sorry..But I think I get what you're saying. Better to set the SCC to cut out first before the bms does? In a hvd scenario? That leaves the charging/discharging switch on the bms to remain on?
As for common port bms, I'm afraid I dont know if mine is or not. Probably a simple way to tell? I'll browse thru some of wills vids and see if I can find a "PSU as a panel" scenario. Thanks for the input snobbler!

Back