diy solar

diy solar

Potential Cheaper on-grid charging solution

FullSOC

Hi all,

I have a enerdrive 40+ dcdc to charge my 280ah 12v lifepo4 in my camper.

Instead of buying an AC charger for charging this battery when it is in the garage...

Can I just hook up a 15amp 24v power supply to the input to this unit? (I have this on hand https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/embedded-switch-mode-power-supplies-smps/1065869/)
Whilst obviously limiting the input current, as this device allows.

I'm thinking of installing a permanent ”charging port” in the camper so I can just plug the psu out there.

This is the one I'm talking about... input voltage should work with 24v and I can set custom charge profile.

Would be happy to not have to pay $700 for their ac charger (https://enerdrive.com.au/product/epower-12v-40a-battery-charger/)
With the DC to DC one I can even have solar input!

Please advise if you think there is any issues.

My thoughts for installation are:

PSU DCDC both.png

In the situation of "charge on grid mode" SBDT then DP DT.
OR
The bottom one where when the PSU is connected a VSR cuts off battery and ignition sense connection to prevent back-feeding 24v to car.

Then to complicate things even more, and speed up the charge, I am thinking I could disconnect solar and plug in a SECOND 24v PSU into that. Maximizing current to the lithium.

Thanks for reading!

It would likely work but the manufacturer will say no.
I have seen micro inverters designed to run off solar running from a battery.
I think they worked best when voltage was outside mppt range but still within spec.

Thanks for the reply.
This dc dc charger specifies a really wide range of input voltages.

Manufacturer will say no because money right?

I was thinking the 24v psu would be going in to the battery input because I guess that expects a more stable input.

This charger allows input current limiting so it looks promising.

voltage is voltage, so I cant see why this won't work.

Might have to take one for the team and see if this works and post the best solution.

If anyone can think of any other problems I could cause please tell :)

Sorry for the late reply!
Yes! It does work, and has been working for some time now.
I cant speak for all dc to dc chargers. But this is why I got the enerdrive one. It is extremely well built and a rock solid output. Thermals seem good too.
I run it at 40 amps through the solar channels. Which is great, I never have to touch the dc dc charger and I have mounted it away from easy access now.
:)

Ps. I forgot my other password, this is my other account

Back