diy solar

diy solar

Power Calculations For 2 Freezers

I was told that the AC 'board' on the Ecoflow uses 20-30 Watts per hour just to run.

So.. I grabbed the latest test results for my freezer .49 KWH and 11 hours (rounding up).

The Ecoflow uses 30 watts per hour (again rounding up) x 11 = 330 Watts + 490 Watts = gives the battery capacity of only 825 watt hours.

Still way below the 1260 KWH advertised. But closer to the test I saw Will and others perform. Still very poor IMHO

Two points someone made...when you run lower watt items like my freezer the % used by the AC board is a higher percentage. One person suggested that to use the 'full' capacity of the battery I add something that has a continuous draw (ex router). It will not extend the hours (I was told) but I;d get more use out of it??? TBH this makes little sense ..the battery capacity is the battery capacity .

The other suggestion (which also seemed odd) was to get a DC-AC watt converter and run the freezer from that outlet (my freezer is a household freezer that uses only AC ). If the DC inverter/converter uses less that 5 watts to operate it might give a bit more time ex: 6 more hours*??? I remain dubious. I know the Ecoflow DC output is only 108 watts (13.6V by 8A ) and I cannot say what the surge wattage is on my freezer. During the compressor running I can see the continuous watt usage goes up to 90 watts

*AC Ecflow standby usage = 30 watts per hour
DC -- AC inverter usage = 5 watts per hour

Difference = 25 watts 'savings' per hour over 11 hours = 275 /45 watt freezer average draw = 6 hrs. This seems to miss many key variables IMHO One being the freezer draw varies - much lower in cooler temps and higher in the day time heat.

So, they said it's normal to have a DoD of 75% and that it self consumes 30 watts/hour (nearly 3x as much as your 5.5 cubic foot chest freezer)?
So if it was on and powering nothing it would die in ~31 hours?

WOW!

I wonder what's costing that 30w/h and if there's anyway to deactivate it (sort of like turning off bluetooth to make your cell phone last longer). I'm thinking the USB ports and a regulated 12V output would probably consuming power... anyway to turn those off from the display if you're not using them to minimize that 30W? If you never use them and it's easy to open the case you might be able to unplug them.

Now I'm going to have to go measure self consumption in my Peak.... it has a regulated 12V outlet and USB ports that I never use.

Last edited:
After speaking with a few owners, it seems the Delta may use anywhere from 20-70 watts per hour. Presumably the lower load is just for fans and standby, the higher load is during the AC conversion. The precise number is unknown because it is not included in the spec sheets. I have emailed the company for more info (am not expecting a response).

In the meantime, we're doing a low continuous watt run test to see what we can realistically expect in terms of the Delta's....parasitic load?? is that the correct term?

44 watts for 11 hours = 484
20 x 11 hrs = 220 vs 70 x 11 = 770 watts

Range: 704 - 1254 watts = useless data

Our own test came to around 38 watts per hour 'drain' running a continuous load of 28 watts. The numbers still do not add up to the rated 1260 watt hours, but if you assume another 25-30% 'drain" on top of the measured drain you get there.

The good news is that even with our lackadaisical solar panel positioning we were able to recharge it to 95% today over 7 hrs using 2 x 100 Renogy panels (avg 140 watts input), so again numbers do not add up). If we put a little effort into it we might be able to fully recharge it during the summer in our location. Winter we'd see maybe 1/3 - 1/2

Wish I knew if the operational drain with no load continues while solar charging - if falls below 38 watts it may be better to turn off the solar charging.

Back