diy solar

diy solar

Power draw problems

Pcoch

I've got a 2000w, 120V 60Hz inverter, that as soon as I plug in my 1500w, 120v, 60hz griddle into is immediately dropping to 10.7 volts and over heating. Do I need a bigger inverter, or is this one shot? I have nothing else plugged in, and have even tired running directly from the inverter with no extension cord.

Tell us more about the battery system that powers the inverter.

4 12v deep cycle marine lead acid batteries in parallel, currently charged and reading 13v with no draw. I have 8 solar panels, but the sun is setting here now.

I can successfully run lamps and my gaming laptop at full power off this same system with no issue

So the inverter draws about 125 amps from your batteries to supply the griddle load. Are all your cable connections proper and is the inverter set up properly ? The problem is that as the voltage drops the inverter will draw more current from the batteries to try and supply the load - vicious circle.

So the inverter draws about 125 amps from your batteries to supply the griddle load. Are all your cable connections proper and is the inverter set up properly ? The problem is that as the voltage drops the inverter will draw more current from the batteries to try and supply the load - vicious circle.
I have the positive and negative connectors at opposite ends of my battery bank, and as far as inverter set up goes, I'm not sure what you mean beyond that. I do have my charge controller connected to the same posts as the inverter.

What Pierre means is that the batteries are having a hard time supplying the 125A needed to power such a big load on a 12V battery. Do the math, the lamps and laptop are using an order of magnitude less power than the griddle is. 12.5 amps is far easier to pull out of this battery then 125A.

The numbers are off a little 1500 watts / 10.7 volts = 140 amps x 1.1 90% efficiency = 154 battery amps. I would look at connections and wire size.

Does your griddle have a low setting you could try?

Is your 1500W number from a spec plate on the griddle or how did you get that number?
I ask because microwaves for example are rated for their cooking watts so a 1000W microwave actually uses around 1300W of power.

What Pierre means is that the batteries are having a hard time supplying the 125A needed to power such a big load on a 12V battery. Do the math, the lamps and laptop are using an order of magnitude less power than the griddle is. 12.5 amps is far easier to pull out of this battery then 125A.
So would more batteries be thw solution? or bumping up to a 24v inverter and switching my battery bank to run in 24v series?

Does your griddle have a low setting you could try?

Is your 1500W number from a spec plate on the griddle or how did you get that number?
I ask because microwaves for example are rated for their cooking watts so a 1000W microwave actually uses around 1300W of power.
I did use at the the lowest possible temperature. the numbers came from the manual.

What is the AH rating of your batteries ? The temp setting on the griddle does not affect the current draw - the thermostat will just turn off quicker at a low temp setting. The fact that you measured the DC input voltage of 10,7v at the inverter input ( I presume ) indicates that either (1) the batteries are not optimally charged , or (2) you have bad connections or wire size problems. What was overheating ?

Back