diy solar

diy solar

Power Input and Output of Fuse Block -

@Just John would love to get the sturdier solar panels but our van roof will not support the weight (we looked into this quite extensively, and the two panel setup we want will work but it will be borderline safe). We need to first install a roof rack system and once we do that we'll look to upgrade.

@chrisski I took your advice and am going to go with the class T fuse block from Blue Sea. Trying to research this but having a hard time, are there circuit breakers that turn off rather than blow a fuse that are rated for this high of amperage and can prevent the arcing situation you are describing?

I guess what I’m trying to say is your High Amperage fuse is the AM fuse which The AIC is 5000 amps at 12 volts and 2000 amps at 32 volts. What that means is your battery fuse blow and then arc across and keep going as if the fuse was not there. A lithium battery can make 10,000 amps on a short. The only thing I have found to interrupt that amount of current is a Class T Fuse. A 200 amp clad T fuse will run you about $70, and a mount will run you about $50.
If you are in the USA, here you go:

$50 for the fuse and holder. $20 for spare fuses. Frequently they are out of stock, had to wait more than a month for the spare fuses.
I hope that helps, it was the best price I could find.

@Just John would love to get the sturdier solar panels but our van roof will not support the weight (we looked into this quite extensively, and the two panel setup we want will work but it will be borderline safe). We need to first install a roof rack system and once we do that we'll look to upgrade.

@chrisski I took your advice and am going to go with the class T fuse block from Blue Sea. Trying to research this but having a hard time, are there circuit breakers that turn off rather than blow a fuse that are rated for this high of amperage and can prevent the arcing situation you are describing?

I use a 200 amp circuit breaker in place of an on/off switch. It may or may not survive a dead short, but the 200 amp class T will blow.

Out of stock, of course.

Back