diy solar

diy solar

Power solution for overlanding/stealth vehicle.

harrygibus

Have followed Will's videos for a while.

I'm trying to set up a power solution for my rig that is inexpensive. I am trying to allow for a bit of expansion later on.
Right now this is my thought:
RockPals 500w solar generator
200 watts of HQST solar panels (possibly expanding to 300 or 400 shortly)

I am actually looking at the newer Rockpals 500w (currently $420 on their site) as they have doubled the cell life to 1000 cycles at 80%. The only issue I see is mentioned in one of the reviews on Walmart.com - the display on the unit is next to useless. I was thinking I would install an Aili shunt monitor on it. Has anyone successfully installed a shunt inside the case of one of these so it shows all power use including inverter/dc outs/usb? Maybe a retrofitted main negative bypass plug on the outside of the unit that could be jumpered when not plugged into my system and then hard mount the shunt next to where the solar generator will be secured? I would also like to hard mount a 12v boost converter next to it to keep it regulated.

I don't mind the time I would spend doing this but maybe I should just buy a Jackery instead? I just don't like how long they take to charge on solar.
I don't mind so much being the guinea pig on this new Rockpals unit if it helps this community.

I plan to power my laptop, phone, some lights, and a 12v chest compressor fridge. I am looking at one of the inexpensive costway style ones but am also considering backing the Iceco one on indiegogo.

I thought I could throw something useable together before the 4th but walmart's initial shipping estimates were bullpucky.

Any advice/discussion would be appreciated.

Back