diy solar

diy solar

Power Station vs Components

dmholmes

I've seen the argument frequently that one could build a battery/inverter/charger system for much cheaper than buying a power station. When I priced a good battery, inverter, and charger it doesn't seem to be cheaper compared to a good power station. I do see an advantage that you get the exact components you want instead of what is put into the power station. Is there something I'm missing?

DIY battery made from lifepo4 cells of dubious provenance and a cheap BMS.
This drops the price significantly.
For the current hot deal on cells search the forums for Xuba.
Not sure how your math will work out but thats the play.

That would probably do it. I was pricing Battle Born with quality inverter/charger.

Is there something I'm missing?
Capacity is the main driver of price. It consists of inverter capacity often expressed in Watts which roughly means how much power you want. The other capacity is battery capacity which translates into time or how long you want to use that power. It is expressed in Watthours or for big systems, in kilo Watthours.

Capacity is the main driver of price. It consists of inverter capacity often expressed in Watts which roughly means how much power you want. The other capacity is battery capacity which translates into time or how long you want to use that power. It is expressed in Watthours or for big systems, in kilo Watthours.

Agreed. That's what I was meant by getting the exact components you want. I get to choose a possibly different inverter and battery capacity than I would be able to get from a power station. That's a bonus for sure but I'm not sure that will outweigh the cost difference for my simple needs.

That's a bonus for sure but I'm not sure that will outweigh the cost difference for my simple needs.
I am not sure what cost difference you are referring to? I am of the opinion that one can always build a custom system less expensively than an integrated one that may have features that one does not need.
In my opinion some of those features are the pretty box and the bells and whistles that make it look like it will do everything when in fact it may only power a light bulb for 5 hours but not keep your freezer cold for 24 hours. What are your simple need?

Last edited:
I am not sure what cost difference you are referring to? I am of the opinion that one can always build a custom system less expensively than an integrated one that may have features that one does not need.
In my opinion some of those features are the pretty box and the bells and whistles that make it look like it will do everything when in fact it may only power a light bulb for 5 hours but not keep your freezer cold for 24 hours. What are your simple need?

The cost difference between an all-in-one power station vs buying battery, inverter, and charger. It's not coming out cheaper when I compare, but I may not be comparing apples to apples. Bluetti AC100 $900 vs Battle Born battery $950, Giandel 600w inverter $120, VMAX charger $150 for example. A cheaper battery would of course change that.

I'm looking for power backup for refrigerator/freezer, phones, fan, a few lights for infrequent power outages. I have a small generator that does that well, but I'd like to reduce the emissions risk and maintenance. It can't run all night as well.

The new Bluetti AC200 has the power to cover the refrigerator at night, possibly even the AC100. So I'm trying to decide on that vs buying the individual components (battery, inverter, charger).

A cheaper battery would of course change that.
Yes it would. What is the inverter size and the battery capacity of the Bluetti?
The Battleborn battery is 1kWh and people here have done a 1 kWhr 12 volt DIY battery with BMS for under $500. Apples have a different taste then Oranges so I don't compare them the same way I compare Apples to Apples. The big question is what does it take to start your refrigerator/freezer ( I assume it is one combo?). Do you have a killaWatt meter or a label that tells you Amps on that device.

Yes it would. What is the inverter size and the battery capacity of the Bluetti?

2000W inverter, 1700Wh battery.

[QUOTE="Ampster, post: 111425, member: 8477"The big question is what does it take to start your refrigerator/freezer ( I assume it is one combo?). Do you have a killaWatt meter or a label that tells you Amps on that device.
[/QUOTE]

I have a similar watt meter. I haven't done a startup test to see what it uses, but the fridge was using 140w from the generator last I spot checked it. It is 6.5 amps 115 volt at full load on the label. This is what another user got back from the manufacturer after asking about the load:

"whirlpool reconsidered their answer after I complained. they said the nameplate 6.5 amps is worst case- a failure mode when the defrost strips, fans (2) and compressor are all on. they said the comp and heat defrost strips do NOT run at same time ever and comp pulls only 1-2 amps + some startup surge. the defrost strips tho higher in wattage have no startup surge."

Now you have the information to compare. The Bluetti has more capacity than I would have quessed for that price.

I don't pay much attention to power stations, and have largely the same perspective as you do regarding their value. But I have the vague impression that Bluetti is pushing the limits as far as power stations go and one of the better values for your $ as far as portable power stations go.

If Aliexpress is valid:
Inverter: 1500W Reliable Inverter $165 (Amazon) OR Victron Phoenix 500W / 900W (2 minute peak) $170 (Amazon)
Battery: 1700Wh from BLS $490 (CATL cells I think), OR 2300Wh from Varicore Official Store $380 (EVE cells probably, unknown-to-me seller).
BMS: JBD Smart BMS 120A rating $65 OR Daly BMS ~150A around $80-100
AC charger: undetermined
DC charger: undetermined
Solar: is this a feature you plan to have?

I've seen the argument frequently that one could build a battery/inverter/charger system for much cheaper than buying a power station. When I priced a good battery, inverter, and charger it doesn't seem to be cheaper compared to a good power station. I do see an advantage that you get the exact components you want instead of what is put into the power station. Is there something I'm missing?

From my experience on having both setups and if I can do it all over again, I would go with the all in 1 system.

A lot of people never factor in the extra costs when doing a comparison like this. Costs like time, wire, wire lugs, fuses, extra shipping fees and others small stuff that doesn't come to mind right now, but add up rather quickly.

Right now good Batteries, MPPT chargers, Inverters, fuses and wire usually cost more than an all in 1 system. From the research I've done, I can pretty much get a all in 1 system for the price of the what good lithium batteries cost alone.

Also, an all in 1 system has a much smaller footprint so you have more space to work with in a build. I Mounted panels on the roof of my Van for charging, but you can always get some portable panels that can be really convenient.

And if you ever lose power at home, you can just bring it inside and not have to worry about running a gas generator.

The advantage of building one is if something goes bad, you can replace just that part.

I am at a point where I wonder if the Titan would have been a better option for my use ... except I will get more oooomph for my $$$. And I get to learn new stuff that I can apply to future projects.

Back