diy solar

diy solar

Power supply share

Brewman

Solar Enthusiast
I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a power supply share. I know a lot of us building batteries need a PS for balancing but after that it just collects dust.

I wanting to see if we could start a sharing group where people could ship there PS to another member for use in there project and then pass it on to the next person.

The user would pay the shipping to them and maybe a small amount to the person who bought it. Would save people money on buying something they wouldn't normally get a lot of use out of.

Not voting, but have some thoughts.
  1. Cost is < $60 for Prime members.
  2. Cost to ship stuff these days is pretty spendy.
  3. MANY folks find a need to re-balance at some point in the future.
  4. These PS are very useful if one ever needs to recalibrate a shunt or as a constant voltage source, like for floating a battery in storage.

If it was someone local and they were on the forum enough to be legit, I might loan them my power supply. I think I would be more likely to loan out my hydraulic crimper than the power supply. There are too many ways for a newbie to break a power supply.

I tossed the shipping box for my power supply months ago. Shipping isn't going to happen.

I'm going to be buying a lot of tools and test equipment for my builds and being a nice guy I wanted to help others who may not be able to buy good stuff as all there money went to solar equipment.

But your comments have shown me the idea is not as good as I first thought.

Actually, combining the two concepts sounds like a good idea...

Local lending network.

Borrower hand the loaner the cost of the unit. Borrow it. Get money back upon safe return.

IMHO, I really think we should start promoting things like these:

2.97 - 3.60V adjustable and up to 60A for $40.

Almost impossible to swell a cell, and 6X more current potential than the benchtop supplies.

@Dzl had a thread about a higher end one... $160 or so for up to 120A w/separate sense leads.

Ah... here we go:

Last edited:
Basically impossible to swell a cell, and 6X more current potential than the benchtop supplies.

Careful there. I suspect there are some forum members that could bloat a LiFePO4 cell with the 9v battery out of their kids walkie-talkie.
rotate.gif

What is the EXACT model and url for the cheapo at amazon that is a 100% known good, and can set CC and CV at the same time?

I'm still looking for a get-it-the-hells-done right now solution.

Doesn't exist. You always take a gamble, but the return policy makes it easy to get it dealt with.

The one Will recommends is on this page:

I have this "turd"

The units in this class all have crap leads, and you need to fabricate better ones.

If you don't care about flexibility and just want to charge up to 3.6V @ 60A, then get the meanwell in post #11.

I can't find the 3.6A version of it on Amazon, only the 5v. (unless it's variable from 0 - 5v.)

I had a couple of these in my jeep and I sold the jeep.

I'm pretty sure the one I posted and the one from Will is the same bugger, different sellers.

I would really go for more current given the chance . . . since I have 32 in parallel all this time now.

What is the EXACT model and url for the cheapo at amazon that is a 100% known good, and can set CC and CV at the same time?

I'm still looking for a get-it-the-hells-done right now solution.

THIS?
Variable 30V 10A, LONGWEI 4-Digit Large Display Adjustable Switching Regulated Power Supply

This thread has recommended power supplies. I have the first one in the initial post.

As near as I can tell on my unit, you set either CV or CC, not both.

I have that thread, I know how to search a forum. I even have a PM with JustJohn about buying his. What i need know is, which of these single AIO models can I get RIGHT NOW without a lotta froohah that will charge the bejeesus outta 32 cells in parallel. I want a straight answer, p l e a s e.

I'LL TAKE 60A FOR $200 ALEX.

(EDIT: the reason I couldn't find it was because I filtered for Prime, it's available in NOT Prime > https://www.amazon.com/MEAN-WELL-or...words=meanwell+lrs-350&qid=1625287474&sr=8-10

"you set either CV or CC, not both" this is the boots on the ground info I'm looking for when I hijack someone elses thread.

Yes I can make my own leads with the wire on hand.

Last edited:
With a good BMS and programmable charging device (MPPT, inverter, converter, whatever) you should be able to charge to whatever voltage you want. Then swap over to the benchtop power supply to do the parallel top balance.

I used my power supply to do the entire parallel top balance of my eight cells. You could do the same thing, but much more patience would be required.

I have that thread, I know how to search a forum. I even have a PM with JustJohn about buying his. What i need know is, which of these single AIO models can I get RIGHT NOW without a lotta froohah that will charge the bejeesus outta 32 cells in parallel. I want a straight answer, p l e a s e.

You've been given a straight answer.

I'LL TAKE 60A FOR $200 ALEX.

Why not go for the 120A I linked?

Back