diy solar

diy solar

Power supply share

Oh you mean the "HRPG-600-3.3" I found in the DATA SHEET you linked, not the same thing. And it's not prime.

Like I said, they're (32 not 8) already IN parallel, they've been in parallel and I want to charge the holy hells out of them up to 3.5v so I can put them straight into the final compession box and then add the BMS and active balancer, the the Quattro which are not received or installed yet . . get on with life. I simply don't have all that retirement time luxury to fiddle with several steps.

Last edited:
Oh you mean the "HRPG-600-3.3" I found in the DATA SHEET you linked, not the same thing. And it's not prime.

Like I said, they're (32 not 8) already IN parallel, they've been in parallel and I want to charge the holy hells out of them up to 3.5v so I can put them straight into the final compession box and then add the BMS and active balancer, the the Quattro which are not received or installed yet . . get on with life. I simply don't have all that retirement time luxury to fiddle with several steps.

You didn't ask for Prime.

You clearly indicated you know how to search. Prove it.

If time is REALLY more important to you than money, you can probably find a half dozen suppliers who will overnight it to you for an additional fee.

I'm going to be buying a lot of tools and test equipment for my builds and being a nice guy I wanted to help others who may not be able to buy good stuff as all there money went to solar equipment.

But your comments have shown me the idea is not as good as I first thought.

Yes, you are not the first, nor will you be the last.
I have a LOT of equipment, like a 40 amp power supply I'd be willing to loan out (actually, now two of them), multiple electronic loads for capacity testing, crimp tools, etc. The crimp tools and electronic loads are pretty much the one time use items, like Snoobler pointed out, the power supplies are pretty useful even after you have your battery bank in production.

The problem is, not everyone is nice (or intelligent). What happens if they blow up the power supply? How do you make sure they would "send it on" etc.

If anyone is in the Phoenix/Mesa area, you can contact me and probably work something out for free loans, but otherwise I have little trust. It only takes one bad apple to spoil a substantial investment. Shipping via priority mail is a good deal, but some items (like the 40 amp supplies) won't fit in even the largest priority mail box, so that sucks.

The cost of entry to this space (PV/LiFePO4) is not low, that's for sure. A good portion of the overrun on my budget was the tools needed to do it right.
Right, thus this board is an excellent place to share what works well, and what doesn't. Real experience counts for a lot, rather than depending on Chinese specifications posted on Alibaba or Aliexpress.

IMHO, I really think we should start promoting things like these:

2.97 - 3.60V adjustable and up to 60A for $40.

Almost impossible to swell a cell, and 6X more current potential than the benchtop supplies.

@Dzl had a thread about a higher end one... $160 or so for up to 120A w/separate sense leads.

Ah... here we go:

I agree, they are certainly a bargain for the money. Very capable and cost effective.

Unfortunately, they require more than "turn it on and twist knobs until it reads this" skill level.
You would have people playing with A/C just to hook it up.
Someone will mess it up and blame you because they didn't read and follow the directions. Just saying.

Doesn't exist. You always take a gamble, but the return policy makes it easy to get it dealt with.

The one Will recommends is on this page:

I have this "turd"

The units in this class all have crap leads, and you need to fabricate better ones.

If you don't care about flexibility and just want to charge up to 3.6V @ 60A, then get the meanwell in post #11.
Yes, the meanwell is a far better value for charging an individual cell, or parallel top balancing.

The supply you have, and the one Will recommends are identical after you take the cover off, the only real difference is the additional 2 amp USB circuit, and display/control options on the front. Always will be some that don't hold up, but in general they are good designs that don't overheat.

I've reviewed a couple of models here:

I would suggest (since it shows a $5 coupon when I click) is to follow the link Will gives, and let him earn a small bit of commission. Small price to pay for a resource like this board! It doesn't cost you any extra, just puts a small amount in Will's pocket.

I can't find the 3.6A version of it on Amazon, only the 5v. (unless it's variable from 0 - 5v.)

I had a couple of these in my jeep and I sold the jeep.

I'm pretty sure the one I posted and the one from Will is the same bugger, different sellers.

I would really go for more current given the chance . . . since I have 32 in parallel all this time now.
You can parallel the supplies, buy a second and you have 20 amps! :)

Back