diy solar

diy solar

Power supply system for 3 purposes

I return to the solar rating that Victron states in the Victron 100/30 SCC documents - “nominal solar input 440W”. I don’t understand why they state this.
That's the max a 30a SCC can put to your batteries, 30a @ 14.6v.

The rule of thumb math is 10a of SCC per 100w of panel @ 12v. If you wanted to feed a 12v system with 1200w of panel you'd need a 120a controller which is EXPENSIVE!! On top of that the battery can only take so much, usually .5c to 1c so a 100Ah LFP battery can only take 50-100a of charge depending on the BMS.

You can and should oveepanel a bit, but anything over about 500w is overkill mostly.

I like the options that allow me to use pre-made 100 foot 8 gauge pv wires giving me more freedom in case of shade.
This sounds outrageously impractical.
If you have to move the panels 100ft away, could you move the controller and battery at least part of that distance? Presumably you'd be charging in the daytime and sleeping (using cpap) at night...

Having 100ft of wires in a camp or campground sounds like a bad idea too. I have 25ft carryout wires and that is often dicy with people walking around. But with the RV parked in the shade sometimes i have needed longer.

Getting volts up and amps down will help reduce wiring needs.

One big advantage of carryout panels is that you can manually track the sun. At night before turning in, i point my carryout panels east to start charging long before i wake. Tracking during day can GEATLY increase solar production.

That's the max a 30a SCC can put to your batteries, 30a @ 14.6v.

The rule of thumb math is 10a of SCC per 100w of panel @ 12v. If you wanted to feed a 12v system with 1200w of panel you'd need a 120a controller which is EXPENSIVE!! On top of that the battery can only take so much, usually .5c to 1c so a 100Ah LFP battery can only take 50-100a of charge depending on the BMS.

You can and should oveepanel a bit, but anything over about 500w is overkill mostly.
Ok, thank you. The 100/50 specs say 700W solar. So a person could connect 4 200W panels, overpanelling 100W? Victron’s SCC sizing calculator allows for 130% overpaneling. That gives a person 910W solar in theory?

Ok, thank you. The 100/50 specs say 700W solar. So a person could connect 4 200W panels, overpanelling 100W? Victron’s SCC sizing calculator allows for 130% overpaneling. That gives a person 910W solar in theory?
910 in theory, but only 700w would actually make it to the battery, the rest would just get clipped off and not be used.

This sounds outrageously impractical.
If you have to move the panels 100ft away, could you move the controller and battery at least part of that distance? Presumably you'd be charging in the daytime and sleeping (using cpap) at night...

Having 100ft of wires in a camp or campground sounds like a bad idea too. I have 25ft carryout wires and that is often dicy with people walking around. But with the RV parked in the shade sometimes i have needed longer.

Getting volts up and amps down will help reduce wiring needs.

One big advantage of carryout panels is that you can manually track the sun. At night before turning in, i point my carryout panels east to start charging long before i wake. Tracking during day can GEATLY increase solar production.
I agree that and would only make use of the 100 feet if conditions were right. Most campgrounds - not possible. I thought about one 100 foot length coiled or two 50 foot sections that I could connect. Maybe a 25 and a 50 foot.

I agree that and would only make use of the 100 feet if conditions were right. Most campgrounds - not possible. I thought about one 100 foot length coiled or two 50 foot sections that I could connect. Maybe a 25 and a 50 foot.
I could also move batteries/controller. A loop for 8 gauge wire might be on the large size so 100 feet is probably a foolish pipe dream.

How does the Rich Solar “Mega 200 Watt 12 Volt Solar Panel” “SKU RS-M200” (are 29% off sale) paired with the Victron 100/50 SCC sound. It appears that 800W Solar will clip in the middle with the 100/50, but I think I read that will maximize your solar collection for a longer time?
I’m open to other suggestions. I would like to stay with Victron as I’ve mentioned. The only reason I looked at HQST and Rich Solar solar panels is looking at Will Prowse discussions.

Not sure what your budget is, but this kind of smaller application seems like a perfect fit for one of those pre-built all in one portable systems like Bluetti or Ecoflow.

Not sure what your budget is, but this kind of smaller application seems like a perfect fit for one of those pre-built all in one portable systems like Bluetti or Ecoflow.
I’ve looked at the all in one units. Seemed to me that a person is paying a premium with reduced flexibility. In building a system I get to learn something, have more flexibility and then in the future I can expand or tear it down and make a larger system.

I’ve looked at the all in one units. Seemed to me that a person is paying a premium with reduced flexibility. In building a system I get to learn something, have more flexibility and then in the future I can expand or tear it down and make a larger system.
Yep...for sure. Just figured if budget wasn't an issue, the convenience factor might be worth it since you mentioned camping, etc.

About the only thing pre-made generators have is the form factor. You can't really build a unit as compact as someone who can customize their case and components.

The help here is very much appreciated!
Yeah, get some camping back that I’ve missed out on w/cpap and power outage backup for cpap at home. The all-in-one form factor is good, but learning to design and build is way more fun!
Mark

Back