diy solar

diy solar

Power Tech On Neutral Bond

Comanchecreek

I have 300 ah of Battleborns, I have a Power Tech On 2000 watt Inverter. All is wired into my conventional fifth wheel. I use a Renogy 200 ah solar suitcase to charge, and I also have a Renogy DC to DC charger when plugged into my tow vehicle. Problem is simple. When I turn on my inverter, my gfci in my bathroom trips. It can be reset, and functions normally when reset. No other circuits trip. The ground fault does not trip when plugged into an RV park pedestal. It has been suggested to me that my problem is a neutral/ground bond. It has also been suggested that my GFCI is simply bad. I'm afraid to plug in a neutral bonding plug for fear of causing a problem with my inverter. I can test the grounds to the neutral, and they are definitely not bonded coming from the inverter. I know that my Trailer treats a plug in as if it is a sub panel. The neutral bond when plugged in is through the pedestal, but the neutral bond when using the inverter would only be through grounding to the frame of the trailer. I need to sort this out before I go experimenting. What do you think?

Outlet only style inverters should not be connected to a circuit panel. The voltage they produce is floating, and only the chassis of the inverter gets ground.
most likely, the GFCI is confused by the voltage paths on the inverter.

Are you saying that I should not plug the inverter into my trailer because it goes through a circuit panel? I'm aware of many people that are doing just that, without issue. My Brother in law has a very similar trailer, with the same inverter, and has no problem.

I’m saying the ground fault is bypassed if you connect a isolated inverter to a GFCI equipped wiring system.

Back