diy solar

diy solar

Powering 12v 3000watt inverter

Zach.h

Hi all i was looking for some input as to how i should go about powering my 3000watt inverter charger from renogy i dont really need the full 3000watt but i got a good deal (new second hand ). I dont want to spend 2000-3000 aud on prebuilt batterys and was looking for suggestions about a diy solution in the 800 to 1600 dollar range just for the batterys themselves.

Required "features"
- "shore" charging since my car is kept inside where ill plug it into mains and charge it overnight through the inverter charger
- i would like to have my alternator connected aswell but not sure how i would go by this i was thinking about using the renogy dc-dc and mppt charger as i will have solar aswell
- will be running a fridge freezer 24/7
- update - max load to be determined by whatever a induction cooktop uses so im going to design around that

Any input is greatly appreciated thanks

Last edited:
Hi all i was looking for some input as to how i should go about powering my 3000watt inverter charger from renogy i dont really need the full 3000watt but i got a good deal (new second hand ). I dont want to spend 2000-3000 aud on prebuilt batterys and was looking for suggestions about a diy solution in the 800 to 1600 dollar range just for the batterys themselves.

Required "features"
- "shore" charging since my car is kept inside where ill plug it into mains and charge it overnight through the inverter charger
- i would like to have my alternator connected aswell but not sure how i would go by this i was thinking about using the renogy dc-dc and mppt charger as i will have solar aswell

You need to calculate exactly how much energy your fridge/freezer uses first also any other devices you may want to use.

Required "features"

A 3000W inverter at 12V can draw enormous amperage. You are describing a large expensive battery build, but only mention a refrigerator as a load. List all the loads, and get a grip on the total daily Wh storage you will need. You might only have a light draw on the inverter, but it CAN pull hundreds of amps… you need to size the wire and fuses for that eventuality.

A 3000W inverter at 12V can draw enormous amperage. You are describing a large expensive battery build, but only mention a refrigerator as a load. List all the loads, and get a grip on the total daily Wh storage you will need. You might only have a light draw on the inverter, but it CAN pull hundreds of amps… you need to size the wire and fuses for that eventuality.
Yeah i figured that that would be the case, i found a link to a excel spreadsheet that can total all my loads and show me what i need to use and where so i might have a look into that. Honestly biggest load would be an induction cook top so im foing to look into its power needs and design around that. Thanks for the input much appreciated

Yeah i figured that that would be the case, i found a link to a excel spreadsheet that can total all my loads and show me what i need to use and where so i might have a look into that. Honestly biggest load would be an induction cook top so im foing to look into its power needs and design around that. Thanks for the input much appreciated
Inductive cooktop can pull 3600W on startup… normally around 800-1800 but that surge powering up and each pulse during cooking can be tricky.

Inductive cooktop can pull 3600W on startup… normally around 800-1800 but that surge powering up and each pulse during cooking can be tricky.
Yeah definetly some surging like you stated, for the short term im most likely going to use some cheap cranking batteries to deal with the surges and theyll have enough amp hours to run my fridge while i think of a battery design to deal with the surge power.

Yeah definetly some surging like you stated, for the short term im most likely going to use some cheap cranking batteries to deal with the surges and theyll have enough amp hours to run my fridge while i think of a battery design to deal with the surge power.
Its a shame capacitors cant be used in parallel to the battery bank to supply short pulses of power in situations like this... or can they hmmm. Just food for thought

Back