diy solar

diy solar

Powering a 220 Volt Pump

Papasmithnc

Looking to put in a system that will utilize the existing 220 volt pump. I know there are variables to take into account but, assuming I can afford it, what would be the reasons not too to utilize the existing pump? The solar system I am imagining would primarily be used for a grid down scenario. If I could make everything except the panels portable, that would be nice. My thinking here is theft of the system or maybe moving to another location if need be. Perhaps starting with an all in one split phase solar package on Will's web site?

Powering a 220V pump can be a nightmare. You need to know the locked rotor current of your pump motor and size your inverter to drive it. My neighbor has a deep well 3hp pump with a 60A locked rotor current and a 12A run current. It's the only reason he has to run his 24kW generator as it's the only thing that will take the 14kW surge. His 4kW inverter is limited to about 7.2kW surge. We've had no luck finding a solution besides going with a smaller pump, which was just replaced a few years ago - not going to happen.

Snoobler, what was your objective for a solar powered pump? If you are only looking as a backup for power outages as I am, have you come across 12 or 24 volt pumps that supposedly can be dropped beside the piping of the 220 pump to a depth somewhere above the 220 pump? My objective is only for grid down but, at the same time, retain the relative simplicity and reliability of a traditional system during the vast majority of time when the grid is working. This is why that I am hoping someone has the solution for the 220 pump. Even a solution for a 120 pump would be interesting.

Well casings have just enough room to accommodate the pump and the discharge pipe. There is nowhere to install a second pump unless you have a completely non-standard well.

I refer back to my original post. You need to get the details. It's like you're asking for help with your car, but you won't tell us what it's doing, what kind it is or what fuel it uses. You're asking us to guess about everything but the fact that you have a car with a problem. If you want help, you have to help too.

Get your well depth and your exact pump model. Look up the run current and the locked rotor current. We may be talking a 10kW inverter system with 3kW of panels, but we can't know without the details you mention yourself. If you want "portability", then you likely need to get a "portable" genny for backup. It might need a trailer to be portable, but we can't know.

I'm willing to help as much as you are.

Last edited:
Looking to put in a system that will utilize the existing 220 volt pump. I know there are variables to take into account but, assuming I can afford it, what would be the reasons not too to utilize the existing pump? The solar system I am imagining would primarily be used for a grid down scenario. If I could make everything except the panels portable, that would be nice. My thinking here is theft of the system or maybe moving to another location if need be. Perhaps starting with an all in one split phase solar package on Will's web site?
What is the horsepower of your pump? Most are 2pole (3600 rpm) wound, but if you have 4pole, the starting current will be less. I have not seen a 4 pole for a number of years.

Well casings have just enough room to accommodate the pump and the discharge pipe. There is nowhere to install a second pump unless you have a completely non-standard well.

I refer back to my original post. You need to get the details. It's like you're asking for help with your car, but you won't tell us what it's doing, what kind it is or what fuel it uses. You're asking us to guess about everything but the fact that you have a car with a problem. If you want help, you have to help too.

Get your well depth and your exact pump model. Look up the run current and the locked rotor current. We may be talking a 10kW inverter system with 3kW of panels, but we can't know without the details you mention yourself. If you want "portability", then you likely need to get a "portable" genny for backup. It might need a trailer to be portable, but we can't know.

I'm willing to help as much as you are.

The link below is in response your first assertion. Basically, you can put a second pump down into a standard casing.
https://www.rpssolarpumps.com/backup-water-systems/#1584320099948-90461073-7ddc

No need to answer further. I found the answer to my question without getting mired down in the minutia of supplying the exact specifications of my pump. I was not looking for an exact solution now which I thought was obvious from my question. Just presenting the general criteria of what I was looking for and hoping for the same in return. Did not find what I was looking for here.

Last edited:
Oh come on! Modern well casings are 6” diameter, with a 1.25” pipe running down to the pump. PLENTY of room in there for a second pump situated above the primary. Sure... you can’t fit one BELOW the primary, but lots of room above it.

The link below is in response your first assertion. Basically, you can put a second pump down into a standard casing.
https://www.rpssolarpumps.com/backup-water-systems/#1584320099948-90461073-7ddc

No need to answer further. I found the answer to my question without getting mired down in the minutia of supplying the exact specifications of my pump. I was not looking for an exact solution now which I thought was obvious from my question. Just presenting the general criteria of what I was looking for and hoping for the same in return. Did not find what I was looking for here.

I doubt you'll bother to read or respond as you seem the type, but you've proven my point. Using the word "shallow" could have directed us in the right direction.

"standard casing" diameter for me is measured in inches, not feet, and is 200' deep for a "shallow" well and 1100' for a deep well. You're not fitting a second pump in there. Period.

Devil is in the details. Glad you found RPS. They were on my short list if it seemed a good fit, but you were so stingy with info, I couldn't even be sure of that.

Good luck.

I doubt you'll bother to read or respond as you seem the type, but you've proven my point. Using the word "shallow" could have directed us in the right direction.

"standard casing" diameter for me is measured in inches, not feet, and is 200' deep for a "shallow" well and 1100' for a deep well. You're not fitting a second pump in there. Period.

Devil is in the details. Glad you found RPS. They were on my short list if it seemed a good fit, but you were so stingy with info, I couldn't even be sure of that.

Good luck.
I am not sure why you liked my comment, but posted this...

Standard 6” casing should be able to house a secondary pump easily...

Sorry. Thought I read 6" That's the size of a "standard" casing in my area.

EDIT. You DID say 6". Hence the like. I'll let it stand. :)

Oh come on! Modern well casings are 6” diameter, with a 1.25” pipe running down to the pump. PLENTY of room in there for a second pump situated above the primary. Sure... you can’t fit one BELOW the primary, but lots of room above it.

I think the issue you have with a secondary pump fitting is trying to visualize a full size well pump fitting in there... no way of course... but he is talking about a DESIGNED TO BE SECONDARY pump to fit in and perform light duty pumping.

I've not seen a single well head in my area that could accommodate a secondary pump that could pump the 400+ foot head we have in our area. There's no such thing as light duty. :)

Good luck

I'm sorry. What is this comment in reply to? Who referred to "standard casing" as being measured in feet? Who are "us"? Is there more than one of you writing what I presumed to be your individual comment? Or, are you speaking on behalf the entire forum community? Is this in reference to your absolute but entirely incorrect statement, "Well casings have just enough room to accommodate the pump and the discharge pipe. There is nowhere to install a second pump unless you have a completely non-standard well." It certainly appears that you are reaching for an excuse for your mistake and at the same time losing credibility. Perhaps, I am just a little confused as to who and what you are responding to as well as what you're saying. If so, my apologies.

Back