diy solar

diy solar

Powering a Mint Split unit in an RV by solar and lithium batteries

Hope I can insert a side question without sidetracking the thread ....

If I have an existing 110V inverter with sufficient power capability .... would there be any problem just using a transformer to power one of these high efficiency 208/230 mini splits?
if the unit will use single phase it is possible. never tried too chicken.

If I have an existing 110V inverter with sufficient power capability .... would there be any problem just using a transformer to power one of these high efficiency 208/230 mini splits?
I setup my split phase so that I had a dedicated 240V Breaker for the mini split. And a 30A breaker(s) supplying each side of my ac distribution panel and balanced my loads in the panel. That gave me a total of 6000W power in the distribution panel (excluding mini split. Wife would run the air, induction cooktop and the microwave at the same time. Could not turn on the 2000W water heater until the cooktop of micro was done...I tried

Good question.
I presume that what you have is actually 120V Inverter (US voltage), so the transformer is probably just going to double it to 240V.
If so, the question would be; Is 240V OK for the Mini-Split? (And I don't know the answer to that).

Good question.
I presume that what you have is actually 120V Inverter (US voltage), so the transformer is probably just going to double it to 240V.
If so, the question would be; Is 240V OK for the Mini-Split? (And I don't know the answer to that).
You can probably find a transformer wound to provide just about any voltage you want.

I'm in the process of converting a van into a RV.
I have seen several videos on this being done with a high seer rating small mini split unit 90000 or 12000 ...
some saying 24 seer due to the low energy needed.
These videos say that the new high efficiency units only pull say 9 watts and can run 24 hours day on solar and battery.
The units are 110 or 115 v. ac and can provide heat in the cold.
First of all that would be great if it's true and second of all would your 400 watt solar system you power this set up and how much
battery would it take..
I saw you video on the small ac in your shop so it could be possible. Lot of money to waste if not possibel
I would love see a video done on this subject.. There is a major market for people wanting to camp in comfort and not need a generator.
Love your videos and have learned a lot.
Thanks
I just posted a new thread on my whole system.. it addresses all this. And it works perfectly. Along side this, I'm happy to report on all the startup power needs or anything else you could wish for reporting. Cheers

The 12K btu, 115v mini-splits I have draw between less than 600w and a high of about 800w most of the time they are operating and are FAR less noisy than any rooftop unit I have ever been around....both the inside and the outside units are so quiet it is almost unbelievable. I like to have a fan on low all night long and the mini-split in my bedroom is so quiet it doesn't make enough sound to satisfy me
Michael, I am plotting to install two 120 volt mini split on my old 1980 31 foot wanderlodge. I read somewhere you drive a wanderlodge. Do you mind telling me where you put your two compressors and how you mounted them??

Now that you have had two for a while how is it working out????

Any info you will share is appreciated? Maybe picture(s)

Rob

Back