diy solar

diy solar

Powering Down Off-Grid SolArk Inverter

vodkatea

I have a SolArk 8KW inverter with an array of solar panels that generates 4KW peak power. The setup is off-grid, and I see the inverter always uses about 140 watts, even when disconnected from the household circuit breaker panel. In the winter, I would like to conserve that power except when it is absolutely needed. I'm thinking that if there was some way to force the SolArk inverter into a deep sleep (one that uses zero or close to zero power), I could have a little Arduino or something paying attention to a real time clock and only awakening the SolArk periodically to do things like run the heating system until the house is warm, and then shut off again. My concern is that during the winter, there is often so much snow on the solar panels that there isn't enough power being collected to power the SolArk at 140 watts continuously. My question is:

Do SolArk inverters have a deep-sleep mode? And can this be turned on or off with an external signal?
I suppose I could cut power from the whole-house battery, but that might not be smooth.

They have no deep sleep mode but a Sol-Ark should only draw about 60-70W of power when on.
Is this power you are seeing coming from the battery or the PV array?
There is no way to stop the power draw without completely shutting down the Inverter.

Back