diy solar

diy solar

Powering up my shipping container

I just picked this post randomly. I don’t warrant the numbers. It’s a lot of hydrogen over time. Eg a weekend place. 37CC7C7A-F1E3-42E8-82AE-29A8E67546D1.jpeg Also, “sealed” agms can blow the seal. A static spark when you open the door. Boom.

I just picked this post randomly. I don’t warrant the numbers. It’s a lot of hydrogen over time. Eg a weekend place. View attachment 85346 Also, “sealed” agms can blow the seal. A static spark when you open the door. Boom.
I just picked this post randomly. I don’t warrant the numbers. It’s a lot of hydrogen over time. Eg a weekend place. View attachment 85346 Also, “sealed” agms can blow the seal. A static spark when you open the door. Boom.
Yeah this would never happen.

That's an entire water heater of gas every hour. Let's run that math again because they're using a HUGE battery bank as an example:

C=6 cells in a normal battery
0=0.2 for 20%
g=0.01474
a=16.6 which is 1/6 of a 100Ah battery
R= 4 sure, we can use that

6*0.2*0.01474*16.6 = 0.2936208
Divided by 4 = 0.0734052 per battery per hour

Multiply that by 24 hours in a day and you get 1.7617248 cubic feet per battery per day

While still a lot, MUCH less than the 8 Cubic feet per hour they're using in the example. That's easy to dissipate with a simple vent.

Those are marketing terms, not real world numbers. What it means is that a "12v Panel" can produce enough voltage to charge a 12v battery, but not enough to do a 24v battery. Likewise a "48v Panel" will produce enough voltage to charge a 48v battery, or a 24v, or a 12v. When you're calculating for your SCC the only time those numbers really come into play is if you're using a cheapie PWM controller. Since the PWM controllers just clip voltage to whatever battery voltage is, going over that is a waste of energy.

For example, if you've got a little 12v panel on a 12v PWM controller and a 12v battery, the panel is probably producing 18-ish volts and the PWM is just clipping that down to the 13.5-ish that your battery uses. Anything between that 13.5 and 18 is just dumped/wasted. If you were to throw a 48v 300w panel on a 12v PWM and battery, that's anything between 13.5 and 60v that's just wasted and only 5 amps going into your battery (and probably fried your little controller in the process anyways! :oops: ). That's where the whole 12v/24v/48v panel thing really comes into play and your panel, PWM, and battery all need to be in the same range.

Now, let's say that your little PWM just wasn't able to handle those "48v" panels your friend gave you for your birthday and you went and picked yourself up a decent little MPPT controller. Now things start getting good! The MPPT controller is trying to do all its battery math by watts, so your fancy 48v 300w panel is pumping 60v into the controller. The controller knows it's a 12v battery, so it's going to take the extra voltage and convert it to amperage. Now that 5a @ 60v is coming into the MPPT and it's being converted to 25a @ 12v of charging going to the battery. That's a helluva improvement! Since the MPPT can actually USE the excess voltage you gain a LOT more efficiency out of it.

Add into that the amperage rating of the SCC. If a SCC can do 100a, then it's 100a at whatever voltage. So if you were running a 100a SCC on a 12v battery, you couldn't use more than 1200w of panel. Bump that battery bank to 24v and now you've doubled your usable panel wattage to 2400w AND cut your wire size down significantly. In your case, you should really look at a 48v system. Now your 100a SCC can use 4800w of panel AND your wire and fuse sized are dropped even further. A 5kw inverter on a 24v line is a 250a fuse and AWGHonkinHuge wire, but on a 48v setup is only 125a and AWGRealistic size wire.

Also, since you want to give yourself a little headroom on fuses, your 100a SCC should have a 125a fuse going out.

Wire up your panels in series as much as you can, get a better quality MPPT that can take a higher VoC input and you'll be a LOT better off.

Also, what kind of appliances need 1500w ea for 12 hours? You're not running electric heaters in there are you?!?! If you are, the general consensus for heating is "Anything But Electricity" because it beats the krap out of your battery banks.
My 1st thoughts were, he wants to mine crypto.

Back