diy solar

diy solar

PowerJack 6000W and 1/2 hp 240v well pump success

DThames

Solar Wizard
We have been pumping well water into a 1000 gallon sand filter and then from the sand filter to a pressure tank for many years. Since the sand filter has been in the mix, there is no need for high flow pumps, so we have replaced pumps with 1/2 hp 2 wire pumps over the past few years (more than one well). I am assuming these two wire pumps are either shaded pole or might be permanent split capacitor type with the capacitor hidden somewhere inside the pump unit. We still have a 3 wire with a starter box in one well.

I have a split phase sub-panel box with a transfer switch for emergency power and would really like to be able to run a well pump from an inverter without spending a lot for something that might never see use. Recently I purchased a PowerJack 6000W (24v input) for less than $200 on Ebay. Most of the Ebay listings show "Continuous rating" that is 50% of the number on the inverter's label, so I assume the 6000W is a product name, not specifically meant to be 6000 watt rated. The unit is however rated to carry a surge of 9000W. So just call it a 3000 watt unit. I am not sure what the starting current is on the 2 wire well pump but it is less than a normal capacitor start motor, so I had hopes it would work. I tested it on 2 of 3 of my 2 wire pumps and it worked just fine. The three wire pump it would not start. I think the starter box as a current relay, meaning the coil is pulled in by a specific current load and not by a voltage on the coil. You can spot those type relays by the size wire on the coil. Big fat wire = current sensitive. That 3 wire pump, it didn't start and the inverter didn't really complain either. My wife was monitoring the inverter input amps, showing 170 amps. I was not able to monitor the line voltage to the pump at the time but I expect it was low enough that the current was too low for the current relay to engage the start winding. Note, I have two BYD used batteries connected to the inverter.

I plan to be able to capture some starting current data with some additional tests, when I have time. But I am very happy to know we can pump into the filter and into the pressure tank with the existing setup. I wanted to share this success because I was not sure if it would start the pump or not.

Can you please provide the link to the inverter on EBAY? Thanks.
BTW, is it 6000W split phase? What is the pump rated Voltage and current? 240VAC ??A.

It is similar to this one. Same rating but the vents are different on the one that I got.
One of the two pumps that was tested okay, 1.22Kw, 5.2A, 249v running on the grid power. That is the pump that pumps into our pressure tank, so loaded against the tank pressure.

Back