diy solar

diy solar

powerwall and lifepo4 battery

placez

what is the difference between the two, dont they both store energy and need a solar inverter?

Terminology. A powerwall is usually a Lifepo4 battery in a case bolted to the wall (hence Power Wall) and is a great marketing term. A LFP battery is some cells and a BMS that is just storage. Whether that storage is a battery box, a milk crate, a rackmount shaped box in a case, or just a bunch of cells in plywood and duct tape is just form factor. But if you take that duct tape and plywood box with those cells and screw it to the wall, now it's a Power Wall. See what I did there? ;)

I would also add that any sort of pre-packaged kinda dummy proof power wall is also going to be anywhere from 30 to 50% more than just buying rack-mountable LifePo4 batteries. For example, this thing is $2700 for a fancy box with a mere 4.8kWh. On the flip side, a simple rack-mount SOK battery with a higher capacity is only $1649 and takes up a lot less space. Now you can't just throw it outside, you're paying extra for that fancy case, but you get the point.

A Tesla Powerwall also contains a grid tied hybrid (non solar) inverter built into the enclosure doesn't it? Or at least require some sort of matching Tesla equipment that does that?

At the end of the day it's about what you're using it for, the Tesla systems aren't really marketed as "off-grid", they're more hybrid systems and their equipment is fancy looking, has a nice app, etc.

I'm pretty sure all the Tesla Powerwalls are AC coupled batteries, thus have an "inverter" built into them. Even the original powerwall. The + just has solar MPPTS on it also.

Back