diy solar

diy solar

PowMr All in one, 3500Watt, 120 volt MPPT voltage is not resetting

Micah123456

Can't find another thread. I have a PowMr 3500watt unit, 120volts, all in one. Works perfectly outside of the MPPT charge controller. After a day or so, it doesn't reset the voltage, goes down to 50 volts in and when sun is up, it doesn't reset to its 113 or 120 volts coming from solar panels. Ie its not tracking voltage regularly and adjusting backup to get full power. So i get half the wattage out of my panels as its not rechecking the voltage.

Has anyone seen that? Any fix? The only way to fix it I see is to disconnect solar and reconnect which forces it to recheck the voltage. Can't find others really talking about any solutions for this one.

Does the growatt do the same? If i purchase another, wondering if I'll have the same issues.

Running 1200 watts of panels, close to the 150 volt max. What i see normally is about 140 volts in. 145 volt VOC max according to unit but manual says 150 volts.

There are a couple threads about the same problem that one of our members has posted. Probably worth a read and summoning @Bobert for more info.

MPPT sticks at 60v
PowMr 48v 3500w Hybrid
Yes I do have a similar problem. In my case if I turn off the PV and turn it back on again the charge controller works properly again. I am loath to do anything else because the performance of my array is so good with this controller when it is partly cloudy. My Father in laws growatt is connected to 10 of the identical panels that I have and I get better performance out of the 9 panels that I have under the same conditions. What are the specs of the panels that you are using?

i have currently 3x 405 watt Jinkos. 50voc. 9.95 amp. I'm noticing now every day indeed i have to go and unplug solar, plug it back in for this thing. That kinda makes this a useless unit as it has to be babysat all the time. I saw someone automated a reset based on voltage... If it weren't for this issue, this unit seems fairly stable and useful otherwise with loads and such. Seems like a simple thing they should have fixed.....

I just went and ordered an eg4 from signature solar to be done with it, and if i have same problem, they will at least provide support and also a warranty. Actually really good price from them no it, I was amazed.

At this point, I just need the system to work. Hope someone can find a fix or an easy workaround for it!

i have currently 3x 405 watt Jinkos. 50voc. 9.95 amp. I'm noticing now every day indeed i have to go and unplug solar, plug it back in for this thing. That kinda makes this a useless unit as it has to be babysat all the time. I saw someone automated a reset based on voltage... If it weren't for this issue, this unit seems fairly stable and useful otherwise with loads and such. Seems like a simple thing they should have fixed.....

I just went and ordered an eg4 from signature solar to be done with it, and if i have same problem, they will at least provide support and also a warranty. Actually really good price from them no it, I was amazed.

At this point, I just need the system to work. Hope someone can find a fix or an easy workaround for it!
I built a timer using mosfets that automatically turns my array off and on at 9:00 am. That seems to have done the trick. What are you going to do with the old Powmr

I built a timer using mosfets that automatically turns my array off and on at 9:00 am. That seems to have done the trick. What are you going to do with the old Powmr
well, was going to resell it to the next poor sucker :) Kidding aside, it was a good cheap unit to get to cut my teeth on these things. I got it used for $400 CDN anyways, so i'll pass it to the next one looking to get solar setup. I didn't want to blow up an $1000 unit. This is all new to me so now I have more experience, I know better what i want.

If you were anywhere near me when I get home I'd offer to drive up and take that off your hands. Hopefully you can find a loving home for some newbie to cut their teeth on and a link to all these threads about it. :)

well, was going to resell it to the next poor sucker :) Kidding aside, it was a good cheap unit to get to cut my teeth on these things. I got it used for $400 CDN anyways, so i'll pass it to the next one looking to get solar setup. I didn't want to blow up an $1000 unit. This is all new to me so now I have more experience, I know better what i want.
The unit I have works beautiful except for the MPPT thing.

If you were anywhere near me when I get home I'd offer to drive up and take that off your hands. Hopefully you can find a loving home for some newbie to cut their teeth on and a link to all these threads about it. :)
Where are you exactly? I'm in Canada. could probably ship it if you really want it :)

The unit I have works beautiful except for the MPPT thing.
Draw back i think is the app. How do you monitor it and do you use the app and the wifi stick? The screen on it is useless too, seems to default to voltage rather than kwhs or amps or whatever when you click a button to bring it up again

Where are you exactly? I'm in Canada. could probably ship it if you really want it :)
I live in the US about 80 miles from Ottawa. I was born in California but my siblings were all born in British Columbia. ( I’ve been everywhere)

Draw back i think is the app. How do you monitor it and do you use the app and the wifi stick? The screen on it is useless too, seems to default to voltage rather than kwhs or amps or whatever when you click a button to bring it up again
I run mine entirely off of the screen. Compared with the growatt my father in law uses this screen is much more intuitive. Unfortunately there’s essentially no detailed adjustment of the MPPT itself. I think the problem is software/firmware related

I run mine entirely off of the screen. Compared with the growatt my father in law uses this screen is much more intuitive. Unfortunately there’s essentially no detailed adjustment of the MPPT itself. I think the problem is software/firmware related
Time and time again i find what i want on all these solar generators is just a prominent watts in, watts out. This one has the kilowatts but the screen resets off that when it goes dark. How are you logging or do you remotely monitor it at all?

I live in the US about 80 miles from Ottawa. I was born in California but my siblings were all born in British Columbia. ( I’ve been everywhere)
Ah very good. I grew up in Ontario Canada. Near Toronto. Live in PEI right now. :)

Ah very good. I grew up in Ontario Canada. Near Toronto. Live in PEI right now. :)
PEI That’s somwhere I’ve never been. New Brunswick is the closest I’ve been. I hear it’s a beautiful are over there.

Time and time again i find what i want on all these solar generators is just a prominent watts in, watts out. This one has the kilowatts but the screen resets off that when it goes dark. How are you logging or do you remotely monitor it at all?
I have never attempted to monitor it remotely. In the location I have it accessing the screen is super easy. I bought my unit close to a year ago and their didn’t seem to be any practical way to remotely monitor it at that time.

First screen is battery voltage and ac voltage
2 is PV temperature and watts being harvested
3 is PV voltage and amperage being harvested
4 is amps into battery and amps being drawn from the battery
5 is kw going into the batteries and kw going out of the batteries
6 is ac cycles input and cycles output
7 is ac voltage and amperage being used
8 is internal parameters? And kva output
9 is inverter temperature an kw output
10 is programming information
11. Is nominal system voltage and inverter size
12 is PV voltage rating and PV current rating

It would be less confusing if the last 3 screen were relegated to the programming section so you don’t have to scroll through them every time you are checking output ad input.

Back