diy solar

diy solar

Powmr hot skin issue

rcmaster12

I have a Powmr 48v 110v 5000watt AIO unit which I have been using for a little while. My setup includes my 50 amp rv which I have a dog bone to give me the 110v on both legs. Has 48v lifepo4 batteries connected. Everything works as it should, but with all of the rain lately I have discovered I have been getting a hot skin situation happening. Originally I was using grounds and hots separated, once I noticed the hot skin issue I measured 10-30v between ground and neutral. Read some info in the forums and decided to then bond ground and neutrals in the panel after ensuring they are not bonded in the inverter itself. This did not fix the issue. I then decided to put in a grounding rod and connect along with the grounds and neutrals in the panel. This still did not fix the hot skin issue. I turned off the 50 amp breaker and even then there is voltage on the chassis of the rv. I just don’t see how this could be happening unless there’s voltage on the neutral and if that’s the case why does it shock me rather than go through the grounding rod? Any help to prevent this issue would be greatly appreciated. I do have an eg4 6500 on the way so I’m sure it will not have these issues but I need to use this one until the eg4 gets here and would prefer not to get shocked when going in the camper.

What is a hot skin situation?

I can't fix your problem, but electricity does not seek the ground. It seeks to return to the source. The ground rod is only establishing 0V at earth.

Is your RV chassis bonded to ground?

What is a hot skin situation?

I can't fix your problem, but electricity does not seek the ground. It seeks to return to the source. The ground rod is only establishing 0V at earth.

Is your RV chassis bonded to ground?
Hot skin issue is when you get a shock when touching anything metal on the rv while standing on the wet ground. I would imagine that the rv chassis is bonded to the ground of the plug but I’m not positive. This has never been an issue when I’m somewhere with shore power

Hot skin issue is when you get a shock when touching anything metal on the rv while standing on the wet ground. I would imagine that the rv chassis is bonded to the ground of the plug but I’m not positive. This has never been an issue when I’m somewhere with shore power

Hot skin condition as you describe is possible between chassis and ground even if there's an N-G bond on board as the trailer is likely insulated from the ground. It generally doesn't occur on shore power because the source is N-G bonded and grounded.

Check voltage G-chassis. If you have voltage, your G isn't bonded to chassis.

If:

N-G bonded in inverter.
G bonded to chassis.
Chassiss bonded to ground rod.

Then you shouldn't have hot skin.

I
Hot skin condition as you describe is possible between chassis and ground even if there's an N-G bond on board as the trailer is likely insulated from the ground. It generally doesn't occur on shore power because the source is N-G bonded and grounded.

Check voltage G-chassis. If you have voltage, your G isn't bonded to chassis.

If:

N-G bonded in inverter.
G bonded to chassis.
Chassiss bonded to ground rod.

Then you shouldn't have hot skin.
I now have the eg4 6500 and nothing has changed. Neutral and ground are not bonded internally, I have the neutrals and grounds bonded in the breaker panel along with the grounding rod. I do show continuity from chassis of rv to the ground of an outlet. I have 118.5v from hot to chassis of rv. I also have 1.34v from chassis to neutral. I also have 1.34v from neutral to ground at an outlet. Very weird

I

I now have the eg4 6500 and nothing has changed. Neutral and ground are not bonded internally, I have the neutrals and grounds bonded in the breaker panel along with the grounding rod. I do show continuity from chassis of rv to the ground of an outlet. I have 118.5v from hot to chassis of rv. I also have 1.34v from chassis to neutral. I also have 1.34v from neutral to ground at an outlet. Very weird
So it isn't the hybrid controller that is the problem? Correct me if I am wrong but do you have both your 48v and your regular engine batteries bonded to the same chassis?

Back