diy solar

diy solar

Pre-Planning on a DIY "larger" solar system

James L

I am looking to start working on a solar install i have been fiddling with solar for a while but not on this scale.

Here is what i am looking for.

• Power a 4Ton AC central air (240V) Upstairs is 120V
  • Misc computers/server's i have 2 gaming computers and a laptop for my mom (Gaming computers are not playing games the whole day call it 2 hours each night)
  • Networking Closet i have with nas pulls about 300w
  • Keep the lights on fridge freezer etc. 1 Fridge freezer combo and 2 deep freezers

I live in Texas were the weather is hot and humid the majority of the year and AC is really important for me because of my family. Texas did recently have a really bad i almost want to call it a grid failure. I did have a mobile backup generator and survived the freeze without many problems but had to go refuel it change the oil etc, but i would like something more permanent and have the generator as a supplemental power in case the batteries get low during the night etc.

The plan i was looking into was getting some of the Hybrid LV6048 6kW Grid tie hybrid deals and hook them up in series like the manual says you can do to get the 18kW etc. Reason for all of the power is the AC runs the majority of the day in the summer because of how hot it gets even though the house is insulated. I want to know if there is a better solution instead of buying multiple units and smashing them together to get the wattage i need. More of a single higher wattage unit (does not have to charge batteries).

As for the panels themselves i was looking into mount them on the ground in a large array with an adjustment function to change for winter/summer angles. A few points on these i have questions for.

• Do i need micro inverters to help with efficiency? They are not very expensive.
  • With the micro inverters do i need a system that can "smart" talk to them?
  • What panels can take a beating against large hail etc yet cost effective. Could i add some Plexiglass/laminate infront of the already protected cells to keep them from getting destroyed before a storm?

Next step in my mind is what kind of fuses/breakers do i need? Do i get a dc breaker box before i put it into my Grid tie/solarmppt system?

Long story short i could use some help figuring out the wattage on all of this with a system and batteries to function in another grid failure caused by weather or whatever along with day to day savings of not paying the grid for power.

Linked is a png of what i was thinking.

UPDATE: I did an Audit and i am looking at about 1500kw per month needed i would need a system that would produce that during the summer in the winter we have a gas heater.

Attachments

• Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Grid-tie requires full code compliance and a contract with your utility company to permit grid tie. They may have other requirements beyond code.

Unless you have already done so (I doubt you have since you're considering the LV6048 - not UL approved, can't use), I recommend you do a deep dive and determine what it takes to make DIY grid-tie happen in your area and then start designing a compliant system.

When I looked into it, I discovered that me providing 60% of my annual power needs would only reduce my bill by 30%. This and additional expenditures required by code compliance pushed the payback period of a DIY system to 10 years - longer than we intend to remain in the house.

From when i posted i have been looking into what is required for a grid tie system. I am not understanding how its possible to run my house after the power goes out how do i still use my solar energy. When a grid tie box has no power in it shuts down to not feed into the grid when there is no power.

So am i really looking for an offgrid system with a transfer switch? Or do i need to buy both systems and have a transfer switch between the systems? Or Is there a larger AIO solution box to charge batteries transfer power back to the grid for solar savings along with powering my home during an outage or am i just asking to much?

Hey I'm also in Texas and planning for (another) catastrophic failure in our grid system. I'm also new to all this so I'm still in the reading/learning phase. I'm trying to go a little different from you though and figure out what's the minimum I can live with when things go down? I'm planning on getting an efficient split/window unit for AC, and just closing off parts of the house. I already have an ICECO 12v fridge/freezer I use for camping, and some other plans. Anyway I can't help you with your design, but I'm interested in what you're doing as it may change my plans. Maybe I should start a new thread "Brainstorm surviving in Texas this summer"

I was about to post an update to the thread because i am not getting any help from the majority of forums. I have some new designs that allow for full grid tie along with offgrid capabilities when the power dies. i will share some later mind you these are all ideas and i have no idea if they will work in practice

I run an off-grid, larger system (45 panels) that produce 18,000kwh/year. I use 2 x 12,000w inverters (24,000w total) that allow up to 240v@100a - and I power everything with just 'a bit' of management to avoid turning everything on at once. For example, if I turned on the oven + cooktop + dryer + heat-pump + microwave + dishwasher + other stuff.... it can exceed 240v@100a - so I chose to leave the oven 'off solar circuits' as it could be wired in quickly in an emergency and we don't use it much.

To consume the power and remain off-grid, I use several ATSs (automatic transfer switches). What happens - when the batteries charge up / inverters turn on... the solar generated power flows to the ATSs (like a generator) and they sense the power and automatically switch to using that power. When the batteries run down - the inverter shuts off and the ATSs again sense this and switch back to grid. Its all automatic.

When ATSs switch, there is a split second loss of power.. so I have UPSs on computers and sensitive equipment to smooth this out.

My components (Charge Controller, Inverters, ATSs) are all individual components. However, they make all-in-one equipment like GroWatts or MPP Solar PIPs that have built-in UPSs and can get you to 15,000w or higher 240/120v power levels. My point is that you can definitely build a larger system that is off-grid but yet takes advantage of grid if grid is available. The downside of off-grid is that you cannot sell anything 'extra' back to the grid.... so you may not want to design 120% of powering your house as the extra 20% would be lost. The upside is you don't need permissions from the power company or even tell them what you're doing.

Happy to share more detail - but trying to avoid TMI in this post .....

Last edited:
I'm wondering about doing a manual, or programmed switch build where I run off solar/batteries during the day and then switch back to the grid, when power is cheaper, at night?

you can do a hybrid system.

sol-ark/deye are ul approved, and can be hooked in to a battery.

From when i posted i have been looking into what is required for a grid tie system. I am not understanding how its possible to run my house after the power goes out how do i still use my solar energy. When a grid tie box has no power in it shuts down to not feed into the grid when there is no power.

So am i really looking for an offgrid system with a transfer switch? Or do i need to buy both systems and have a transfer switch between the systems? Or Is there a larger AIO solution box to charge batteries transfer power back to the grid for solar savings along with powering my home during an outage or am i just asking to much?

Now that is the comment i have been looking for. But reading the data sheets Sol-Ark is what i am looking for but DEYE makes the size i need but does not play well for the voltages i require and has no transformers to step them down built in. Also i am not familiar with 3 phase 240v on the DEYE system do i have to use all 3 phases? also i am not seeing that the DEYE system uses batteries?

Now that is the comment i have been looking for. But reading the data sheets Sol-Ark is what i am looking for but DEYE makes the size i need but does not play well for the voltages i require and has no transformers to step them down built in. Also i am not familiar with 3 phase 240v on the DEYE system do i have to use all 3 phases?
3 phase is European. Try looking for a US version of Sol Ark - e.g. split phase 240/120v - like this https://www.solar-electric.com/sol-ark-sa-12k-pre-wired-hybrid-inverter-system.html

Gotcha i am looking for like a 15KW system does the Sol Ark have a larger than 12K system? or can i parallel them? like this https://shop.signaturesolar.us/products/5kw-48w-240vac-80a-off-grid-inverter-by-growatt?
Yes you can parallel. See page 41 of https://www.sol-ark.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Indoor-12K-Manual-9-21-2020-Indoor.pdf @Engineer775 is a long time youtuber that installs these - many youtubes showing various installations.

I think the key thing (in my mind) is the mind-blowing price difference between 2 x SolArks and 3 x Growatts. A youtuber @DavidPoz just installed 3 x Growatts for 15,000w...

Not sure if Growatt is ETL (UL equivalent) certified. I went with AIMS 12,000w because it was ETL - I have all ETL/UL components in my system for (fire) insurance purposes.

Yes you can parallel. See page 41 of https://www.sol-ark.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Indoor-12K-Manual-9-21-2020-Indoor.pdf @Engineer775 is a long time youtuber that installs these - many youtubes showing various installations.

I think the key thing (in my mind) is the mind-blowing price difference between 2 x SolArks and 3 x Growatts. A youtuber @DavidPoz just installed 3 x Growatts for 15,000w...
Thats the video i was referencing during this project and was what i was basing my system off of. I was just wanting to have grid tie possibilities to help charge my batteries and resell back to the grid when i am overproducing like you mentioned on your previous comment.

I have one more question then i think i can finalize what i am requiring for the system. If i was to get a singular Sol ark 12k what would happen if i used over the 9000watts of continuous power would it just pull the extra from the grid?

I have one more question then i think i can finalize what i am requiring for the system. If i was to get a singular Sol ark 12k what would happen if i used over the 9000watts of continuous power would it just pull the extra from the grid?
If you pull over the max output from Sol-Ark (or Growatts) I bet it will throw circuit breakers. I don't think its as 'magical' as auto-power-sharing with the grid... but I'll be interested to read other comments on this!

Gotcha so i would need to scale both sides of this project to the 15kW minimum ok thanks :)

Now that is the comment i have been looking for. But reading the data sheets Sol-Ark is what i am looking for but DEYE makes the size i need but does not play well for the voltages i require and has no transformers to step them down built in. Also i am not familiar with 3 phase 240v on the DEYE system do i have to use all 3 phases? also i am not seeing that the DEYE system uses batteries?
deye produces the sol-ark's , they are their OEM.
That being said, sol-ark does have exclusive sell rights in the usa, so not sure hoe to get around that

another viable option would be the mpp solar mpi 10k , you can "stack" those to maximum of 6.

i highly doubt you will ever need 60 kw, with bursts up to 120kw domestically

another viable option would be the mpp solar mpi 10k , you can "stack" those to maximum of 6.

i highly doubt you will ever need 60 kw, with bursts up to 120kw domestically
More like i was looking at before with the Hybrid LV6048 6kW units?

More like i was looking at before with the Hybrid LV6048 6kW units?
the difference between the lv's and the mpi series is that the mpi's are true hybrids ( can take and give to and from the grid, where lv's are grid assisted ( they can only take from grid).

as you are in the usa , i would check theirbUL status.
you might also wait a few months.
as deye is an OEM and sol-ark's are really popular, mpp solar will start reselling their stuff too ( as far as i have been able to.figure out anyway)
they are known as the lvx series, and should be UL certified, but at a fraction of the cost of a sol-ark

sol-ark 12k : 6500
deye 12kw : 2400

so i expect mpp solar to stay below 3.

Back