diy solar

diy solar

Preparing to do the install but questions

jvriffel

First post but lots of reading
New to all of this, been studying youtube university for awhile now, specifically Will Prowse videos and others. Yes, I also bought his book. I believe I have enough knowledge to be dangerous by now but nervous about it all still.

Using Will Prowse suggested system designed here exactly although I'm only using 2 100 watt solar panels and only 1 100ah 12v Ampere Time Battery. 4ga wire for all except 10ga on solar panel, and 1ga to 1500 watt inverter. Mounted on a 20inch X 30inch board

Is there a reason the chassis ground is ran from the DC2DC MPPT instead of the bus bar? Can I run the chassis ground from the bus bar safely instead?
Can the breaker from starter battery be located closer to the DC2DC MPPT as pictured with the rest of the components?

Now to find a route and entry to get the 4ga from starter battery to the back of the minivan where the other components will be at. Suggestions?

All to be installed in a 2012 Chyrsler T&C temporarily and moved permanently into a 94 Chrysler T&C

Thanks in Adance!

Yes the ground can come from the bussbar...
Any circuit protection be it fuse or breaker should be as close to the source (battery) as possible..

Getting started but figures my crimper is the last thing to get here so laying it out almost exactly as his website shows.

Below is a picture of my exact layout of the solar board 18" x 30". Mounted on the side of plastic shelving system from Menards that my mattress/bed will sit atop of. Top is the Renogy unit and fuse box with the Inverter and breakers as the bottom side.

What is the point of the first 80amp circuit breaker on the left since it will be fused at the starter battery?
Other than just a disconnect of sorts?

Shouldn't I also have some type of disconnect from the panels prior to the MPPT?

I have also discovered there is absolutely no way to run those 4 4ga wires from right side of the DC2DC MPPT as shown in the picture from his website unless you leave the cover off or cut extra holes into it. Plus I also have the 10ga negative wire from the panels to bring in.

Can the 10ga negative from panels also connect directly to the bus bar without issue? Or does it have to go directly to the MPPT. I might be able to squeeze it in with one of the 4ga wires.
There are only two holes one at top and one on the bottom on each side that barely fit 1 4ga wire.
I can just leave the cover off and protect the connections some other way.

Chassis grounding from the busbar takes one of the wires away but I still have 3 plus the 10ga from the panels

solar.jpg

Back