diy solar

diy solar

Prepping Overkill BMS for 100 amps 10 AWG upgrade

frostyllama

I've got 2 100a 24v 8s Overkill Solar BMS'. Looking at wire current ratings, it doesn't look like the 10 gauge stock wires are going to cut it.

It seems that 6 AWG wire would leave a good safety margin at 100 amps continuous, problem is, I'm not sure they will fit the 4 solder points. is 8 AWG good enough?

Curious how others have tackled this problem

Mine's a 100A/120A and it's got three 10AWG cables each side.

Two 10 awg wires combined has the equivalent of 7 awg. Call it 2' of length 7 awg at 24v, the voltage loss is less than 1%.

10 AWG wire Ampacity is 30A, so two wires = 60A.
See, this is what I originally thought, however:
1. These are high temp silicone insulated wires
2. are fairly short (roughly 12'' each side)

These 2 parallel 10 AWG wires are equivalent to one 7 AWG wire which at short length has a much lower voltage drop. The reseller says it can handle the load

See, this is what I originally thought, however:
1. These are high temp silicone insulated wires
2. are fairly short (roughly 12'' each side)

These 2 parallel 10 AWG wires are equivalent to one 7 AWG wire which at short length has a much lower voltage drop. The reseller says it can handle the load
The limiting factor on these short cables is the temperature they get up to, not the voltage drop. Especially if they are in an enclosed case, less air flow.
I'm in two minds at the moment but im going to do a 100A sustained test in the case and see what temp they get to. Mine are 3 no. 10 awg all about 6" long only. That's another problem.

Back