diy solar

diy solar

Prime Day BougeRV panels

BougeRV or NewPowa panels?

• Total voters

StinkyT

Warning, this thread will self-destruct in 9 hours. Not really, but there is a time limit to this question.

Currently, Amazon is running a Prime Day deal on BougeRV 100 W panels for $83.99 for a savings over everyday price of $21. In putting together my system, I sourced similar ones from NewPowa for $87.50 (no deal today).
BougeRV Link
NewPowa Link

I've gotten a decent impression of both companies on these forums and from reviews around different places. Is this deal worth it for the BougeRV panels? Or are there recomendations for one brand over the other? Both are pretty much the same (as far as specs go) and both are made in Vietnam so in my mind, its 6 of one, half dozen of the other. But I do save $16 for the BougeRV panels as well as get American based support (supposedly).

Thanks in advance for recommendations and discussion. I'll include a poll for others that are watching this thread today.

I may defer to more knowledgable individuals, but just looking at the listing you posted, the AcoPower panels are polycrystaline, whereas the BougeRV and NewPowa ones I listed are monocrystaline. Polycrystaline panels, in general, tend to be a little less efficient in their power gathering/transmission capabilities due to energy having to cross the grain boundaries of the silicone crystals. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong).

The second difference I see is in the junction box dust/waterproofing rating. The AcoPower is IP65 rated whereas the BougeRV is IP67. Both are suitable for use in exterior applications but the IP67 rating is a bit better in protecting against water intrusion. The NewPowa unit also has an IP65 rated junction box.

How would these compare to the AcoPower panels that generally go on sale for $60-75 ?
AcoPower 100W Solar Link
According to CamelCamelCamel those AcoPower panels haven’t ever hit below $84. Maybe you’re thinking of a smaller wattage panel?

FWIW I’ve used both NewPowa and AcoPower panels on a few small projects, they’re both solid IMO but I found the NP to be slightly higher build quality.

Back