diy solar

diy solar

Primsatic cells 280ah vs 3 100ah cells...

CoastLife

I've been researching for a while, and it seems like companies like Tesla and Battleborn batteries use cylindrical cells for make up there batterys.
One of the advantages is that one bad cell is less of a noticeable issue overall because of the many many cells.

I'm looking to make a 12v battery pack for my Boat. probably prismatic because they seem more available and easier to put together.

So with prismatic cells..
I was thinking if the price per AH is roughly the same. Would it not be better to make a 300ah pack with 3 sets of 100ah batteries
Than to just use one set of 280ah prismatic cells?

That way if one cell goes bad or something. you have more cells taking up the load? and it's a cheaper fto replace one 100ah cell...
Also, maybe less of a fire hazard if each cell has less potential energy stored?.

Thoughts? does this make sense to you?

I've been researching for a while, and it seems like companies like Tesla and Battleborn batteries use cylindrical cells for make up there batterys.
One of the advantages is that one bad cell is less of a noticeable issue overall because of the many many cells.

I'm looking to make a 12v battery pack for my Boat. probably prismatic because they seem more available and easier to put together.

I was thinking if the price per AH is roughly the same. Would it not be better to make a 300ah pack with 3 sets of 100ah batteries

That way if one cell goes bad or something. you have more cells taking up the load? and it's a cheaper fto replace one 100ah cell...
Also, maybe less of a fire hazard if each cell has less potential energy stored?.

I would go for simplicity and use 280Ah cells. For the types of set-ups we do in the DIY solar, we are not stressing the cells. If you start out with a good set of cells, the likelihood of one of them going bad is small enough to not worry about it.

Id get the bigger batteries if the price per AH is the same or less. I dont know if its a concern for the boat situation but the bigger batteries will weigh less for the same AH rating.

Go big or go home?

I went 280Ah in my RV trailer. But I put in two 4s batteries so I could get more Ah, more amp throughput and redundancy.

Back