diy solar

diy solar

Prismatic Cell Compression

Clegaine

How critical is compression for Prismatic cells ie Leaf modules? I see some just screw the parallel stack onto threads leaving the external modules free to expand while some compress all cells. I know for longevity compression is better but safety wise is it safe just screwing the modules onto threads?

I'm a little nervous given your other post. It sounds like you're a novice. Are you willing to test 100% of the modules for capacity and internal resistance?

Have you done a price comparison between new LFP cells and used NMC EV modules?

To answer your question, they should be clamped in a similar fashion as they are in the car.

It's a comment on what some are doing and not doing, they're not applying compression to the pack the same way it's applied in the car, they just use the threads with no compression across the face of the top/bottom modules. I did read one comment saying the Leaf modules have internal compression and are charged and discharged at a fraction of the rate they would be in an EV so don't require as much compression. I'm inclined to err on the side of caution but YMMV hence the question.

I have a 14s2p pack built, 7 modules in series, compressed and BMS connected. About to build the "big" pack with parallel stacks in series.

Back