diy solar

diy solar

Problem Cell in A123 24V, can I fix it?

whatismouse

Hey all, new here, wondering if it is possible to repair my battery rather than purchase a new one. I have a pair of 24V A123 batteries purchased from bigbattery.com and I have one bad cell. On the first and second discharge, BMS tripped with this cell at 2.5V and all the other cells around 3.1. At full charge, all cells reading the same voltage. I don't have a charger other than my inverter (which won't turn on with less than 48 volts), so batteries have sat for three days now, and the cell that discharged to 2.5 is now measuring 1.1!

I have been in contact with customer service but unfortunately I'm out of the 30 day warranty period (my inverter was delayed multiple weeks so I didn't get a chance to test for a while). Still waiting to see if they will let me buy another battery at cost, but even then, and with the shipping of batteries to and fro, I was told it would be about $400.

I've looked in my area to see if there is anyone that services lithium batteries, but no luck...

Is a repair within the scope of a DIY-er with no previous experience inside of a battery? Would it be worth $400 to attempt to do this myself?

An inverter that won't run on with less than 48V is pretty odd. I would expect a 48V inverter to need no more than 42V to turn on.

The pack actually has 40 cells, 5P8S, so you'd need to replace 5 cells as one has likely taken the others out, though you might get lucky.

Back