diy solar

diy solar

Problem feeding power when grid goes down.

Roman zulu

Hope someone can help.
Have a Deye 5kw and been running flawlessly for nearly 2 months now.
Yesterday when we had loadshedding, no power. As if it's not sensing that the power been cut and not activating the batteries to kick in. There was still plenty of sun power been generated but would not use it either. No power output at all.
As soon as the grid came back, everything back to normal. Was also using battery power. Very strange.
Today same story when load shedding kicked in.
Any expert with some explanation would be welcome. Thank you.

I'm completely new to Solar PV systems myself; but my basic understanding of the regulation in the UK is that the inverter is designed to switch off when there's no power from the grid. The reason being that if there's a problem with the grid, an engineer from the distribution company could arrange for a line to be disconnected so it was safe for them to work on it. However, if a Solar PV system was still generating power to the grid, that could still injury or kill them.

Not sure about the regulations in South Africa nor the inverter you mention, but worth reading any manuals about it to see if this is the case.

Some inverters have a critical load, or backup, AC output which can be used during an outage. But this must never be connected to the grid.

Last edited:
Back