diy solar

diy solar

Problem with the DC power supply for top balancing

mcdonder

Hi everyone,

I just received my 16 lishen 272ah cells and have been trying top balance them in parallel following the guide stickied in the lifepo4 section. I bought the 10a power supply will recommends on the site but when I hook it up charging at 3.6v, the amps won’t go over 2. I did the short circuit test in the manual and it will supply 10amps when connecting the two leads together.

Am I doing something wrong? This is my first time using a power supply like this so maybe I am missing something.

Thanks,
Derek

4FDD0CCC-836A-40BB-8848-7708E1A81440.jpeg

Extremely common problem. There is a huge voltage drop between the unit's output ports and the battery terminals. The unit thinks it's pushing 3.57V, but the cells are likely only at 3.3XV.

Bigger wires and better connectors will improve it.

Your charge leads are likely the issue. Make up a good set out of 8AWG or 10AWG wire and proper lugs on the battery side and spade contacts on the PS side.

I'm using same supply and with proper leads get 10.2A

As others have indicated, using quality wire and connectors will fix the problem. You might want to let us know if it did, since others with similar problems might wind up reading the thread and wondering.

As others have indicated, using quality wire and connectors will fix the problem. You might want to let us know if it did, since others with similar problems might wind up reading the thread and wondering.
It's most likely will tbh
I know my power supply (very similar to OPs) had the exact same issue and was sorted that way

Better wires will help, but even then when you're at the CV setpoint the current will start to drop down.

Better wires will help, but even then when you're at the CV setpoint the current will start to drop down.
Yes, but the better wires will allow you to not only charge with more current, it also makes the constant current portion of the charge much longer (i.e. it will switch to constant voltage at a higher voltage). So you can charge faster and shorter.

I can confirm that if you are using the cables from the psu, I had the exact same problem. Creating my own connectors solved the problem marvelously

Back