diy solar

diy solar

Problems with a new Epever Tracer 10420AN

SDLLC03

I do not claim to be an expert here, so go easy on me.

I have 3 - 370 Watt panels on my motorhome with voc of 47.8 volts, vmp of 38.9 volts, Imp of 9.52 amps and Isc of 9.88 amps each, wired in series for max voltage of 143.4 volts with max amps at 9.88. The Epever Tracer 10420AN charge controller is rated at 200 volts max input.

My system monitor shows I am only getting 13.5 volts with no amps off my panels, yet my multimeter shows 128 DC volts coming off my panels. Am I missing something or did I get a bad charge controller?
Any help would be appreciated.

I'm assuming you are running a 12V system? 13.5V would be in the right range. The amps coming in from the solar is directly proportional to the need to charge the battery. If fully charged, the panels will output next to nothing.

To accurately determine what your panels can put out, you need to apply a load to the batteries in excess of their total output. Plug in a toaster, and check to see if the numbers jump up. If the incoming amperage suddenly jumps up, then that's the answer. If it does not, then more troubleshooting is necessary.

BTW, the amperage works out to be 370W X 3 panels/ 13V charging = 85.4 amps. That's a lot of amps into a battery. What's the size of your battery?

For your reference: https://www.epsolarpv.com/upload/file/2103/Tracer-AN(50-100A)-Manual-EN-V3.1.pdf

What is the state of your battery bank? Type, state of charge, etc? Have you modified any of the settings?
I have not modified any settings on the charge controller. The batteries are currently at 13.5 volts. I know that is the same as the reading off the charge controller, but the charge controller should be reading the total voltage coming off the panels, not the batteries or Vmp.

I'm assuming you are running a 12V system? 13.5V would be in the right range. The amps coming in from the solar is directly proportional to the need to charge the battery. If fully charged, the panels will output next to nothing.

To accurately determine what your panels can put out, you need to apply a load to the batteries in excess of their total output. Plug in a toaster, and check to see if the numbers jump up. If the incoming amperage suddenly jumps up, then that's the answer. If it does not, then more troubleshooting is necessary.

BTW, the amperage works out to be 370W X 3 panels/ 13V charging = 85.4 amps. That's a lot of amps into a battery. What's the size of your battery?
The batteries are capable of taking over 100 amps of charge. Even with shore power off and running on batteries alone, there is no indication that the charge controller is putting any power into the batteries and the batteries do run down.

The batteries are capable of taking over 100 amps of charge. Even with shore power off and running on batteries alone, there is no indication that the charge controller is putting any power into the batteries and the batteries do run down.
Ok, here is the standard advice for a misbehaving charge controller. Shut everything down, and physically disconnect at least one wire leading from the battery to the controller, and the solar to the controller. Let the controller sit there stone-cold for several minutes. With everything shut off, it's a good idea to check/tighten each and every connection. Look for loose bolts, or corrosion.

Then, re-connect the battery cable ONLY, and boot up the controller on battery power only. After it has gone through it's boot up routine, and displays the current battery voltage, only then re-connect the solar input. You should see the battery voltage immediately bump up. Does it record any amps flowing into the battery? At that point, put a heavy load on the battery, and see if the incoming amps goes up.

If it does, then most likely the problem is solved. If not, then it's time to contact the manufacturer.

the charge controller should be reading the total voltage coming off the panels, not the batteries
Did you figure this out?

I have two different scrollable readings on mine. Panels are showing 33V and 5.6A while battery is 13.6v and 14.x Amps

so there’s two different readout screens

You said the batteries do discharge. How do they recharge? If they recharge without shorepower or vehicle connection then your solar is probably working fine.
However, other wonkiness will occur if your onboard ‘converter’ is also trying to charge the batteries. Do you have that bypassed or otherwise disabled?

You may have solved by now- dunno

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 3
old thread, but commenting for the benefit of later readers.

the charge controller should be reading the total voltage coming off the panels, not the batteries or Vmp

?

The controller display rotates between many readings, including Vbatt and Vpanel. When the controller is running full-out Vpanel will indeed be the same as local Vmp (by definition).

If you want to watch Vpanel all the time a MT50 will do it for ~$25.

Back