diy solar

diy solar

Problems with gfci inverter outlet

markhbrown

Hi,

I have a solar setup in my van with a xantrex 2000 prowatt inverter. It has gfci outlets on them. I just got my minisplit ac unit hooked up on the back of my van. THe problem I'm having is it trips the gfci outlets on the inverter. Now if I plug it into my garage gfci outlet it trips that too. It doesn't trip a regular 15 amp outlet, nor does it trip my gas generator. It happens when the outdoor unit makes a click sound, right before the compressor and fan start up. However, there is no surge when tested with a amp meter. I set the amp meter to max read to catch any split second surges. There are none when tested on regular outlets where it works fine. In fact it slowly starts at about 1 amp and slowly speeds up to max of 6 amps (120v). So there is no surge, pretty low wattage of around 600 max but it triggers the gfci. The guy who charged my lines checked it while running while plugged into the regular outlet and there was no short. everything read totally fine from line to neutral and ground. So what would be causing this gfci trigger? I hate to buy a new inverter just for this, especially if it ended up doing the same thing. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Resized_20211022_140625_7588.jpeg
    Resized_20211022_140625_7588.jpeg
    560.9 KB · Views: 2
Hi,

I have a solar setup in my van with a xantrex 2000 prowatt inverter. It has gfci outlets on them. I just got my minisplit ac unit hooked up on the back of my van. THe problem I'm having is it trips the gfci outlets on the inverter. Now if I plug it into my garage gfci outlet it trips that too. It doesn't trip a regular 15 amp outlet, nor does it trip my gas generator. It happens when the outdoor unit makes a click sound, right before the compressor and fan start up. However, there is no surge when tested with a amp meter. I set the amp meter to max read to catch any split second surges. There are none when tested on regular outlets where it works fine. In fact it slowly starts at about 1 amp and slowly speeds up to max of 6 amps (120v). So there is no surge, pretty low wattage of around 600 max but it triggers the gfci. The guy who charged my lines checked it while running while plugged into the regular outlet and there was no short. everything read totally fine from line to neutral and ground. So what would be causing this gfci trigger? I hate to buy a new inverter just for this, especially if it ended up doing the same thing. Any thoughts?
Having a similar issue. Any updates?

I have not tested with any other loads. It seems to be fine for a few hours then boom.

I have not grounded the mini to the chassis other than through the mounting hardware.

Inverters have an EMI filter to get rid of RF radiation. These filters pass some current to ground. Probably close to where the GFI is set to trip. Why do you think you need to go thru a GFI to power the mini split?

Inverters have an EMI filter to get rid of RF radiation. These filters pass some current to ground. Probably close to where the GFI is set to trip. Why do you think you need to go thru a GFI to power the mini split?
I don’t. It’s just what is on the side of my house for shore power. Just worrie me if I get into a campground I won’t be able to use a 15 amp connection if that’s all that is available and it’s gfci.

That being said, it would be nice to plug it into my house without worrying about it

I have not tested with any other loads. It seems to be fine for a few hours then boom.

I have not grounded the mini to the chassis other than through the mounting hardware.
I would give that a try first. Try powering something large with the gFci outlet

You may find this thread very interesting

A lot of mini-splits have trouble with GFI's due to their VFD inverter power supply which is also connected to AC ground case with EMI bypass capacitors.

NEC code added requirements (in about 2020) that required outside devices have GFI breakers.

Mini-splits and some of the top end variable speed compressor A/C's run their VFD inverter (variable speed compressor) with connections from L1 (and L2 for 240vac units) to neutral for 120vac. Their high voltage DC that runs the three-phase inverter is derived from a full wave bridge rectifier from AC hot legs to neutral, like a center tapped power transformer. To meet EMI emissions from the switching power supply they often place filter capacitors to case ground. This creates the GFI ground fault because some small amount of filter capacitor current is now carried on ground wire.

Last edited:
Interesting subject. In my past traffic signal world, I learned that our signal cabinets would not run on a GFCI outlet. Same reason as the mini-split, there was a filter capacitor tied to ground to eliminate radio frequency interference. The fix was to change the capacitor wire and move it to the neutral rather than the ground.

Back