diy solar

diy solar

Problems with keeping 302Ah in balance

I don’t disagree with any of your inputs and I truly wish I could customized the Redarc Manager30’s charging profile to lower its voltage to more manageable values, but there it is…
14.4V is what I have to work with (there’s no changing that charging system, though I guess I can contact Redarc about it).

I guess you need some top notch batteries for the Redarc stuff!

The other element of course is selling grade B cells under grade A advertising from once reputable vendors.

I don’t disagree with any of your inputs and I truly wish I could customized the Redarc Manager30’s charging profile to lower its voltage to more manageable values, but there it is…
14.4V is what I have to work with (there’s no changing that charging system, though I guess I can contact Redarc about it).

I guess you need some top notch batteries for the Redarc stuff!

The other element of course is selling grade B cells under grade A advertising from once reputable vendors.

At least it's not 14.6V.

Right? Their charging voltages are 14.4V for GEL/AGM (13.5 float) and 14.5 (13.6 float) for Lithium. It's close to 14.6V though!

+100

13.6V can result in low current overcharge. 13.5V avoids this.
Huh?
In AGM setting, the charger will do boost charge and absorption at 14.4V, then float at 13.5V.
In lithium, it's the same but at 14.5V, then float at 13.6V.

Avoid 13.5V?

Well, never mind… I connected the battery with those beautifully balanced 280Ah cells and cell #4 triggered the over voltage protection (though they were all much closer to one another than the 302Ah).

So... my 60A power supply can spit out 14.4V (at the end of the leads) at 50A and the amperage reduces as the battery ends up sipping the power pretty evenly.
However, the 30A Redarc, which spits out 14.4V seems to just shove 30A until a cell triggers the over voltage protection.
This is all on the same battery going through the same BMS.

So what's going on here? I guess I'm due on a call to Redarc.

Back to taming my OCD tendencies… it’s CDO by the way because of alphabetical order! ?

Last edited:
Andy.... on the Off-grid Garage just put up a video this week on controlling the active balancer with the voltage triggered relay

or you can add a on/off switch to an active balancer and manually top balance once in a while

Back