diy solar

diy solar

Problems with Valence software scanning battery

I have 4 batteries in a 24v configuration, 2S 2P. I haven't actually connected their BMS's together, as I wasn't sure exactly how it should be done. I've just been hooking up to each Battery individually while trying to connect to the laptop.

Would you recommend I try windows 7?
try a cheap Windows 10 machine. I only say that because that's the only thing I've tried and it worked as explained in the super thread.
Since you have some in series you're going to need a BMS anyway. May as well just get it over with and buy one. You can unscrew the side covers on the batteries and check cell block voltages with a multimeter instead of spying on them with the laptop. if all you had was a BMS but no ability to check on them with the laptop I'd highly recommend taking the side covers off and checking because you might find you have a cell block that is greatly behind and you'll need to inject power in at the balancing connector to speed up only the first initial balance to a reasonable time. I feel like I need to make a video about this for the super thread.

I have 4 batteries in a 24v configuration, 2S 2P. I haven't actually connected their BMS's together, as I wasn't sure exactly how it should be done. I've just been hooking up to each Battery individually while trying to connect to the laptop.

Would you recommend I try windows 7?
Connect the batteries communication cables to each other in any random order. It doesn't matter the configuration and the connections don't have to follow their actual series parallel setup.

And for people not connecting them to anything they could simply connect the two that come out of a battery to each other in order to keep the moisture and dust out of the connectors.

Thank you, that's great advice!

I've been worried about the cell voltages & not knowing what's going on inside the batteries. I will try that asap

What BMS do you recommend?

I had planned to use those cheep battery Equalizers to keep the modules balanced, & then keeping it hooked to a laptop to keep the cell blocks balanced. Does that sound like it should work?

A video would be awesome. I'm sure a lot of people would really appreciate it.

Ok, I got the side panel mostly off. Those carrying straps are getting in my way through. I see the BMS but I'm not sure where to check with the multimeter

15909662031491703304829284224537.jpg

Is there any chance we can damage the BMS' in our attempts to connect with these batteries?
Is there any other way to test these batteries? I've read voltages on pins 2 & 5.

I think I had 5 wires wired straight through. So do you think that whatever extra wire that was wired staight through could have been a problem and should have been disconnected?

I need to order another USB adapter and a couple connectors again since I returned the others
Russ, did you ever figure this out. I have the same problem. The adapters and wiring are too straight forward.
I've attempted with different adapters and ran as admin in both Window 10 & 7. There must be a configuration issue somewhere.

I THINK I AM THE ONE THAT STARTED THIS THREAD 5 OR 6 MONTHS AGO

Is this cable wired correctly? I get port not found. I cannot get it to get past the port not found.
This is the same 2 connectors someone else in this thread used.
I hope I am 1 pin off. That said I could not get it to work when the wires were shifted to the other side.

Attachments

• VALENCE USB CABLE.jpg
    VALENCE USB CABLE.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 40
Yours isn't right.
49045118563_7d975f8142_o.jpg

Hi Russ, I know the older software gave me an automatic COM port not found unless I'm running .net framework 2.0 with windows XP

The newer version of the software I have tried with windows 8.1 & 10. On those operating systems it will search, & make the lights on my adapter flash. But I get battery not found.

Have you tried both versions of the software?

Thank you, that's great advice!

I've been worried about the cell voltages & not knowing what's going on inside the batteries. I will try that asap

What BMS do you recommend?

I had planned to use those cheep battery Equalizers to keep the modules balanced, & then keeping it hooked to a laptop to keep the cell blocks balanced. Does that sound like it should work?

A video would be awesome. I'm sure a lot of people would really appreciate it.
Technically that would work but you're missing out on the cell protection the BMS offers. For now I'll recommend the actual valence brand BMS. But you'll probably need to pay someone to flash it for you or at least send you a flash file because figuring it all out was a multi-month pain in the ass.

im having the same issues with my software. has anyone figured out the problem? I can't seem to get past the error "no battery found" when i click "locate battery". the computer seems to be talking to the USB just fine but i cant seem to get in touch with the battery.

I THINK I AM THE ONE THAT STARTED THIS THREAD 5 OR 6 MONTHS AGO

Is this cable wired correctly? I get port not found. I cannot get it to get past the port not found.
This is the same 2 connectors someone else in this thread used.
I hope I am 1 pin off. That said I could not get it to work when the wires were shifted to the other side.
Did you figure it out Russ? Im having the exact same issue as you. Error "battery not found" although the adapter flashes like its working fine. I have the same 5pin adapter as you. Need help please!!

I have 4 hooked in parallel. There is 2 banks of 2 hooked to a Perko switch. Today I hooked the communication cables to the top back and the lower bank So just the top 2 are hooked to each other and the bottom 2 are hooked to each other. No terminator. I was able the read Bat 1 and 2 of the top bank and bat 3 and 4 of the lower bank. Pretty cool. I'm going to make a long cabinet to connect them all so all I have to do is plug into on of the bats and be able to read all 4 with a single connection!
Instead of building new cabinet just build extension cable

Has anybody seen this issue?
1614832667153.png
I'm running as Administrator, with a single battery connected. When I hit "Scan", a battery with module ID 1 shows up immediately, but when I hit "Start Read" with Module ID 1 selected, I always get the error message "Please check the Com Port or ModuleID".
It's clearly communicating fine since it returns the battery serial number and other info with a Scan. The battery itself has a flashing green light that transitions from every 30s to every 5s when it gets scanned, so that seems fine too. Any ideas?

Has anybody seen this issue?
View attachment 39469
I'm running as Administrator, with a single battery connected. When I hit "Scan", a battery with module ID 1 shows up immediately, but when I hit "Start Read" with Module ID 1 selected, I always get the error message "Please check the Com Port or ModuleID".
It's clearly communicating fine since it returns the battery serial number and other info with a Scan. The battery itself has a flashing green light that transitions from every 30s to every 5s when it gets scanned, so that seems fine too. Any ideas?
click the "locate battery" button and then click the "start read" button. it should show you the info.

Trying to connect directly without the external connectors. Usb stick recognized on com3. Valence software likes com3 but no battery located. Ideas? Is it OK to connect directly?Screenshot_20210304-164726_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210304-164710_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to connect directly without the external connectors. Usb stick recognized on com3. Valence software likes com3 but no battery located. Ideas? Is it OK to connect directly?View attachment 39562View attachment 39564
that should be fine as long as you hooked all the wires up correctly. the the black and red should be your power wires and the white and blue should be the communication wires. communication wires in the middle and power wires on the ends. look at the diagram that came with the adapter.

If anyone else is following this thread... just to let you know that the 5pin adapter the 4 pin adapter are not the same. they have different chipsets. I just got ahold of the 4 pin adapter and it communicated to the batteries first time with absolutely no problems. The adapter that Russ and I used does not work.

click the "locate battery" button and then click the "start read" button. it should show you the info.
Thanks for the reply!

When I click the "Locate Battery" Button it gives me the connected battery ID of 1 and sets the Module ID box to 1 like it should:
1614956834849.png

But when I hit the "Start Read", I still get the "Please check the Com Port or Module ID" message:
1614956805097.png

I'm sure I'm communicating since a "Scan" gives me the battery serial number, firmware revision and such, so any other ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Back