diy solar

diy solar

Programmable ATS with Battery Priority

SGriffin007

Good afternoon,

Long time lurker and YT video watcher of Will's, first time post-er.

I'm looking for an automatic transfer switch, that places battery priority until a set cutoff voltage before shore power, then reconnection once above a certain voltage.

Will's video 3 years ago on the "MOES DUAL POWER CONTROLLER 50A 5500 WATT AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH" would be exactly what I'd like to use, except that I'm reading here in a few users teardowns and deep in reviews that it can backfeed and fry your inverter.

I'm not sure how long he used that setup, but if anyone has an advice for modifications to make so that it won't fry an inverter eventually that'd be great.. Or if a new product exists that I've missed.

Not interested in scrapping what I have to go spend big blue company money, just looking for an option to add to what I already have.

I have an 8s 280ah- 24v setup, 3000w PSW inverter, Victron 100-50 SCC, 1775w on the roof in a 2s3p wiring configuration and 24v->12v converter for the unavoidable 12v loads in my RV.

If a transfer switch is wired properly. It would be impossible for it to backfeed either source.
Whether it is automatic or manual.

'm looking for an automatic transfer switch, that places battery priority until a set cutoff voltage before shore power, then reconnection once above a certain voltage.
An alternative method that avoids a lot of problems of a ATS is a PSU set at a fraction above the battery V you want to go down to. A reasonable quality variable psu off ebay or Aliexpress costs only slightly more than the Moes.

If your power usage is mainly during the day the double conversion isn't much of an issue

Edit:
If a "real" transfer switch is wired properly. It would be impossible for it to backfeed either source.
Two relays are not a transfer switch.

Will's video 3 years ago on the "MOES DUAL POWER CONTROLLER 50A 5500 WATT AUTOMATIC TRANSFER SWITCH" would be exactly what I'd like to use, except that I'm reading here in a few users teardowns and deep in reviews that it can backfeed and fry your inverter.
My MOES has been running flawlessly for 2 1/2 years now.
My system is 24v with 1560w of PV (2s4p), (2) 24v- 202ah DIY LiFePo4 batteries and a 3500w inverter. (SCC is Victron smart 100/50)

The system is primarily "backup" but I wanted to use some power while reserving the bulk of the battery storage.
I run my aquariums mainly on battery until I hit the low voltage cutoff and and switch to grid power.
I've never had a problem with the Moes ATS, it does what it's supposed to do and I consider it very reliable

My MOES has been running flawlessly for 2 1/2 years now.
My system is 24v with 1560w of PV (2s4p), (2) 24v- 202ah DIY LiFePo4 batteries and a 3500w inverter. (SCC is Victron smart 100/50)

The system is primarily "backup" but I wanted to use some power while reserving the bulk of the battery storage.
I run my aquariums mainly on battery until I hit the low voltage cutoff and and switch to grid power.
I've never had a problem with the Moes ATS, it does what it's supposed to do and I consider it very reliable
I have a similar system as you but i had 2 inverters go bad. I am concerned about the grounding /neutral set up. I have a grounding bar for the 2 inputs and 1 output. Do you connect the neutral to grnd?

I have a similar system as you but i had 2 inverters go bad. I am concerned about the grounding /neutral set up. I have a grounding bar for the 2 inputs and 1 output. Do you connect the neutral to grnd?
Also Do you connect the grnd of the inverter to the grnd of the grid. I'm thinking of grounding all 3 circuit grnds to 1 bus bar which goes back to grid.

Edit:
If a "real" transfer switch is wired properly. It would be impossible for it to backfeed either source.
Two relays are not a transfer switch.
I have also used one of these automatic transfer switches ( Go Power! TS-30 30 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch [amazon.com])for medical apparatus I use. I have a NON-GENERATOR/NON-SOLAR battery bank with an inverter inside the house for backup. I small trickle charger keeps the batteries up. In the event that the grid goes down (NO contacts held closed by the presence of the grid, OPEN), the transfer switch switches over to the NC contacts and the inverter to keep the medical equipment running. Works great. I connect the primary input to the grid. The secondary input is the inverter. The Output of the transfer switch is simply a stand alone 15amp duplex receptacle wired to the end of a short 12ga piece of extension cord. Medical equipment draws 80 watts so the system serves well with 3 12v 70ah deep cycle RV batteries in parallel and a 1000w inverter. I have an 8 amp battery charger that keeps the batteries up when the wall outlet from the grid is live.

this is an excellent automatic transfer switch. No screens, no buttons, and has a built in timer in case the grid starts pumping up and down as when a branch is hanging in the lines.

No hijack intended. Just an example of an automatic transfer switch setup.

Ken

I have also used one of these automatic transfer switches ( Go Power! TS-30 30 Amp Automatic Transfer Switch [amazon.com])for medical apparatus I use. I have a NON-GENERATOR/NON-SOLAR battery bank with an inverter inside the house for backup. I small trickle charger keeps the batteries up. In the event that the grid goes down (NO contacts held closed by the presence of the grid, OPEN), the transfer switch switches over to the NC contacts and the inverter to keep the medical equipment running. Works great. I connect the primary input to the grid. The secondary input is the inverter. The Output of the transfer switch is simply a stand alone 15amp duplex receptacle wired to the end of a short 12ga piece of extension cord. Medical equipment draws 80 watts so the system serves well with 3 12v 70ah deep cycle RV batteries in parallel and a 1000w inverter. I have an 8 amp battery charger that keeps the batteries up when the wall outlet from the grid is live.

this is an excellent automatic transfer switch. No screens, no buttons, and has a built in timer in case the grid starts pumping up and down as when a branch is hanging in the lines.

No hijack intended. Just an example of an automatic transfer switch setup.

Ken
Yes, that's basically a double pole relay in a pre-wired box. It's impossible to connect both sources together.

Back