diy solar

diy solar

Project to power house + cold room

Avier

Hello everyone,

here is my project.

Location: Oriental Sicily - attic with 80 m² empty terrace on top fully exposed
Annual consumption: 3500 KW
Type: stand-alone (not completely off-grid) implant.
Important: about 70% of domestic usage takes place in the evening - normally nobody stays in the building on daytime.

Upon seller suggestion we are going for:

9x375 wp Solarwatt (~ 4 KW)
Inverter Victron 150/70
Batteries (possibly LiFePo4) not yet identified - please advice..

To offset the daily supply we are going to install a 10 KW (daily absorption) cold room in the garage (on from May to September) and the batteries.

That said, I would like your overall impressions, particularly about:

Sizing - daily consumption, efficiency loss over time
Batteries
Quality of hardware

Hope I have provided all info for an easy answer.
Thank you all

Last edited:
Well I suppose it's nice to follow up.
So after months and months of research, approaching the right dealer and a good technician, yesterday I could finally enjoy for the first time my PV project. I almost can't believe it!!

The specks changed from what originally I had envisioned based on availability, purpose of use, price, etc.
Victron is certainly a better quality gear - for that almost doubled the price - and the only dealer in my area said it is a pure off-grid inverter.

In the end I went for:

x17 Longi Solar Hi-MO4 415Wp (should have been 20 but they didn't fit)
x1 Solis S5-EH1P3.6 K-L hybrid
x3 Pylontech US3000 3.55 kW

So far It doesn't seem too bad. Today yield (sunny day) was 20kW and we are in the middle of winter. Let's see in the coming months and years.
I still have to figure out how to make it work with no grid connection as this was one of the reasons I went for hibrid and who known how many small detail, tweaks and misbehavior...

Last edited:
Back